Jul 3, 2011, 10:00 AM EDT
Deron Williams has chosen his new agent, Jeff Schwartz, according to Marc Stein at ESPN. An agent with a lot of NBA pull and a roster of 20 clients he represents (including Paul Pierce, Kevin Love, Blake Griffin and Lamar Odom).
Williams can opt out of his contract next summer and is expected to do so, with the Nets saying they want to re-sign him and make him the cornerstone of the franchise when they move to Brooklyn in the fall of 2012. We’ve assumed that Williams switched agents because he wants to be with someone who can help him lure big time talent to New Jersey/Brooklyn, or get Williams to a place with a lot of other good players.
The Nets prefer the former, and Stein throws in who the team’s main target will be to put with Williams.
The Nets, sources said, intend to make a hard push for Howard in an attempt to convince Williams to commit long term.
The Nets want Howard? Who didn’t see that coming? Are there not 29 teams trying to get Dwight Howard and one that wants to keep him at all costs? The Nets just need to make a show of it so that Williams can see just how hard they are trying to get him help. Expect the Nets to be both active and very public in their efforts to get another free agent. “See Deron, we’re trying ever so hard to get you help. Please, won’t you stay for a while?”
The Orlando Magic have the inside track to retain Howard because he likes it there and doesn’t want to move, but they have to convince him that they can win with him there. Which means another roster shakeup. But if Howard does leave there isn’t a team in the league that will not make a run at the best center walking the planet right now. Including the Nets. I just don’t see Dwight Howard as a New York kind of person.
- Pacers get big games from Roy Hibbert and Paul George, take Game 2 from Heat to even the series 0
- John Calipari comes to defense of Derrick Rose 5
- Tony Allen fined $5,000 for overacting on Ginobili foul 13
- Preview: Pacers must take back paint to even series with Heat 4
- Celtics deny Nets permission to speak with head coach Doc Rivers 5
- Report: Dwight Howard will consider multiple teams in free agency, is said to be most intrigued by the Rockets (124)
- Alonzo Mourning says Scottie Pippen says LeBron would “kick Jordan’s ass” (81)
- LeBron’s triple-double, game-winner in overtime lead Heat to Game 1 win over Pacers (65)
- Pacers advance to the Eastern Conference Finals with Game 6 win over Knicks (60)
- If Phil Jackson could have any player to start a team it would be… Bill Russell (59)
- Penguins bounce Senators
- Pacers take down Heat in Game 2 to even series
- Tiger, LeBron and bids to be the best that ever lived
- PST: Report: Openly gay Rogers to play for Galaxy
- HBT: Granderson breaks pinky in Yanks' win
- PHT: NHL to present Coyotes ownership plans
- HBT: A-Rod sells Miami home for $30 million