Jul 3, 2011, 10:00 AM EDT
Deron Williams has chosen his new agent, Jeff Schwartz, according to Marc Stein at ESPN. An agent with a lot of NBA pull and a roster of 20 clients he represents (including Paul Pierce, Kevin Love, Blake Griffin and Lamar Odom).
Williams can opt out of his contract next summer and is expected to do so, with the Nets saying they want to re-sign him and make him the cornerstone of the franchise when they move to Brooklyn in the fall of 2012. We’ve assumed that Williams switched agents because he wants to be with someone who can help him lure big time talent to New Jersey/Brooklyn, or get Williams to a place with a lot of other good players.
The Nets prefer the former, and Stein throws in who the team’s main target will be to put with Williams.
The Nets, sources said, intend to make a hard push for Howard in an attempt to convince Williams to commit long term.
The Nets want Howard? Who didn’t see that coming? Are there not 29 teams trying to get Dwight Howard and one that wants to keep him at all costs? The Nets just need to make a show of it so that Williams can see just how hard they are trying to get him help. Expect the Nets to be both active and very public in their efforts to get another free agent. “See Deron, we’re trying ever so hard to get you help. Please, won’t you stay for a while?”
The Orlando Magic have the inside track to retain Howard because he likes it there and doesn’t want to move, but they have to convince him that they can win with him there. Which means another roster shakeup. But if Howard does leave there isn’t a team in the league that will not make a run at the best center walking the planet right now. Including the Nets. I just don’t see Dwight Howard as a New York kind of person.
- Steve Nash to miss entire 2014-15 season with ongoing back injuries 27
- Jeanie Buss: ‘Any free agent that would be afraid to play with Kobe Bryant is probably a loser’ 52
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: Memphis Grizzlies 7
- Five top candidates for NBA Rookie of the Year 30
- NBA GMs surveyed predict LeBron will win MVP, Spurs will repeat as champions 31
- Owners vote down NBA Draft lottery reform, system to stay same for this season 47
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 preview: Houston Rockets 26
- Kobe Bryant responds to ESPN article with basically a shrug (VIDEO) 22