Jul 3, 2011, 10:00 AM EDT
Deron Williams has chosen his new agent, Jeff Schwartz, according to Marc Stein at ESPN. An agent with a lot of NBA pull and a roster of 20 clients he represents (including Paul Pierce, Kevin Love, Blake Griffin and Lamar Odom).
Williams can opt out of his contract next summer and is expected to do so, with the Nets saying they want to re-sign him and make him the cornerstone of the franchise when they move to Brooklyn in the fall of 2012. We’ve assumed that Williams switched agents because he wants to be with someone who can help him lure big time talent to New Jersey/Brooklyn, or get Williams to a place with a lot of other good players.
The Nets prefer the former, and Stein throws in who the team’s main target will be to put with Williams.
The Nets, sources said, intend to make a hard push for Howard in an attempt to convince Williams to commit long term.
The Nets want Howard? Who didn’t see that coming? Are there not 29 teams trying to get Dwight Howard and one that wants to keep him at all costs? The Nets just need to make a show of it so that Williams can see just how hard they are trying to get him help. Expect the Nets to be both active and very public in their efforts to get another free agent. “See Deron, we’re trying ever so hard to get you help. Please, won’t you stay for a while?”
The Orlando Magic have the inside track to retain Howard because he likes it there and doesn’t want to move, but they have to convince him that they can win with him there. Which means another roster shakeup. But if Howard does leave there isn’t a team in the league that will not make a run at the best center walking the planet right now. Including the Nets. I just don’t see Dwight Howard as a New York kind of person.
- Timberwolves owner: Kevin Love might regret trade because he’ll be third banana with Cavaliers 31
- Anthony Davis and Kenneth Faried lead Team USA in final World Cup tune-up 14
- Thunder trade Hasheem Thabeet to 76ers 27
- From late-arriving to a LeBron James favorite, Kevin Love comes full circle 14
- Clippers trade Jared Dudley and first rounder to Bucks for Carlos Delfino and Miroslav Raduljica 15
- Report: Cavaliers trying to trade for Nuggets’ Timofey Mozgov 23
- Cavaliers, with LeBron James and Kevin Love, favored by oddsmakers to win 2015 NBA title 29
- Scout says Carmelo Anthony can be good triangle fit — if he moves the ball 20