Jul 3, 2011, 3:00 PM EDT
John Calipari’s recruiting abilities seem to border on the magical. He’s pulled in three of the last four Rookies of the Year, and his current class features what is likely the top pick (Anthony Davis), along with what could be at least two other lottery selections in 2012. In short, it’s completely absurd what kind of talent he pulls. Whether it’s a result of, or a consequence therein, Calipari also has quite a bit of pro basketball celebrities rifling through the halls of Lexington. LeBron James is notoriously close to the program through Calipari’s friend William Wesley. Jay-Z through the same network. In short, Calipari has heavily leaned on pro connections either as perks in recruiting or simple benefits to UK players.
And now there will be even more pros hanging about. Calipari took to Twitter to say that he had invited all former Wildcat players to use the UK facilities during the lockout. He also offered to help them get set up for classes should they want to finish degrees.
Now, obviously UK will have to be careful with pro players “invited” by Calipari interacting with any recruits. Then again, considering what Calipari is already laden with as far as a reputation, hard to see anything hurting him at this point. On the flip side, though, this could be a beneficial thing. Getting DeMarcus Cousins into a regular workout schedule with his good friend John Wall will provide him with structure. The concerns about Cousins have never been about off-court transgressions, but there have been worries about his conditioning. Working with Wall and Eric Bledsoe might prevent that. And hey, if Rondo shows, he and DMC can have a glaring contest. They should broadcast that if it happens.
- Phil Jackson says he has not heard from Carmelo, has tried to recruit Gasol 28
- With lower-than-expected salary cap, will Rockets and Pelicans still complete Omer Asik trade? 17
- Reports: LeBron James and agent done meeting with teams 80
- Rockets can’t keep Dwight Howard, James Harden and Chandler Parsons and give Chris Bosh max contract 46
- Donald Sterling in court calls wife “pig,” promises to sue NBA “until I die” 43
- Report: LeBron James leaves meeting with Pat Riley without committing to Heat 86
- Report: Mavericks shake up Rockets’ free-agent plans, agree to offer sheet with Chandler Parsons 42
- Gregg Popovich agrees to extension with Spurs, likely stays past Tim Duncan era 32