Jul 2, 2011, 7:00 PM EDT
This was one of the reasons you saw a lot of teams drafting international players in this year’s draft.
Rockets first round pick Donatas Motiejunas has gotten a look at the NBA lockout situation and decided to stay and develop for another year in Italy, according to the Houston Chronicle.
Motiejunas expects to accept an offer from Benetton Treviso to resume his career there for the duration of the NBA lockout and perhaps through next season….
“I still have a contract with Benetton,” said Motiejunas, the 20th player taken in the NBA draft. “They told me if I want to leave in the middle of the season when the team that took me, Houston, wants me, they would let me go. That will be no problem.
“That’s why I’m happy, and a little bit sad. The situation is very tough right now. I don’t really want to go away from the team. I’m not happy about that. That was one of the greatest things that happened in my life, that this team picked me.”
A lot of European clubs are expected to offer similar contracts to guys drafted this season, and the guys will take them. Better to play and develop in a quality league than to sit around and play Halo 3 while eating Doritos. Don’t be shocked if Motiejunas and others actually are asked to teams to spend the entire season in Europe and then come over if it is a shortened NBA season.
Motiejunas is a 7’0” center out of Lithuania who is right out of central casting for stereotypical European big man — good outside shot with three point range but not going to play much in the paint for you. He could develop into a valuable stretch four in the NBA. But for now he will do that developing in Italy.
- Report: NBA considering week-long break for All-Star Game next year 0
- Report: Knicks made (ridiculous) offer to trade for Kevin Love 31
- Report: Lakers finally offer coaching position to Byron Scott, deal expected soon 24
- Report: Cavaliers leading Kevin Love-trade sweepstakes 41
- Chris Paul on boycott if Sterling is still owner: “That’s something me and Doc are both talking about” 31
- Players union approves of Thunder’s Josh Huestis arrangement 16
- Cavaliers officially sign Andrew Wiggins, putting 30-day hold on him being traded 58
- Lakers deny rumor they are waiting around for Doc Rivers to be coach 61