Jul 2, 2011, 7:00 PM EST
This was one of the reasons you saw a lot of teams drafting international players in this year’s draft.
Rockets first round pick Donatas Motiejunas has gotten a look at the NBA lockout situation and decided to stay and develop for another year in Italy, according to the Houston Chronicle.
Motiejunas expects to accept an offer from Benetton Treviso to resume his career there for the duration of the NBA lockout and perhaps through next season….
“I still have a contract with Benetton,” said Motiejunas, the 20th player taken in the NBA draft. “They told me if I want to leave in the middle of the season when the team that took me, Houston, wants me, they would let me go. That will be no problem.
“That’s why I’m happy, and a little bit sad. The situation is very tough right now. I don’t really want to go away from the team. I’m not happy about that. That was one of the greatest things that happened in my life, that this team picked me.”
A lot of European clubs are expected to offer similar contracts to guys drafted this season, and the guys will take them. Better to play and develop in a quality league than to sit around and play Halo 3 while eating Doritos. Don’t be shocked if Motiejunas and others actually are asked to teams to spend the entire season in Europe and then come over if it is a shortened NBA season.
Motiejunas is a 7’0” center out of Lithuania who is right out of central casting for stereotypical European big man — good outside shot with three point range but not going to play much in the paint for you. He could develop into a valuable stretch four in the NBA. But for now he will do that developing in Italy.
- Report: Kings discussing trade for Deron Williams with Nets 8
- Report: Multiple teams contacting Suns trying to trade for Goran Dragic 6
- Clippers rip officials after being called for seven technical fouls in loss to Nuggets 17
- Jeremy Lin after Kobe misses at the buzzer: ‘I like game-winners too’ 47
- Damian Lillard drops career high 43, leads Blazers to 3OT win over Spurs (VIDEO) 8
- Kendrick Perkins: Rajon Rondo wanted out of Boston 8
- Report: Minnesota agrees to trade Corey Brewer to Houston 7
- Dallas moves into title contender status with addition of Rajon Rondo 45