Jul 2, 2011, 5:01 PM EDT
We told you the other day how the Wasserman Media Group was proposing a barnstorming tour of China next fall by NBA players if the lockout is still dragging out.
The Los Angeles Times tells us Kobe Bryant’s agent Rob Pelinka is thinking the same thing — and that would give a tour real star power as Kobe is the biggest basketball name in China. Frankly, two barnstorming tours doesn’t make a lot of sense, Wasserman and Pelinka working together on one big one does.
Bryant and his agent Rob Pelinka are trying to put together the tour, said Minnesota Timberwolves rookie forward Derrick Williams, who also is represented by Pelinka. Williams said several clients of Pelinka’s agency, the Landmark Sports Agency, could be involved in the tour.
Kobe is the biggest star in China because — like his game — he worked at it. He’s been making big annual trips there for years touring the country, he has even set up a separate Kobe-funded charity to work just in China, and much more. Plus, he has rings (five of them) which is something valued culturally. (It’s what hold’s LeBron back.)
My guess is that if the start of the NBA season is delayed for any length of time, you will see these series of games happen. While agents don’t generally play well with each other, when their interests are aligned — as they would be here — the different sides will come together and if they do it they have the skills and connections to pull this off. In what form and where are in flux right now, but it might well happen.
- Report: Timberwolves to end up with Thad Young, Anthony Bennett as part of Kevin Love trade 74
- Adam Silver: NBA stars playing in international competition face ‘a big risk’ 12
- Derrick Rose says he’ll play Friday vs. Puerto Rico 16
- Report: Don’t be so sure on Anthony Bennett to Philadelphia rumors 54
- Report: Nike gets chance to match 10-year, $265 million offer to Kevin Durant from Under Armour 18
- Should NBA coaches get NFL style challenge flags? 20
- Report: Suns discussing trade possibilities for Eric Bledsoe 36
- Report: Sixers may look to trade for Amar’e Stoudemire at this season’s deadline 32