Jul 2, 2011, 5:01 PM EDT
We told you the other day how the Wasserman Media Group was proposing a barnstorming tour of China next fall by NBA players if the lockout is still dragging out.
The Los Angeles Times tells us Kobe Bryant’s agent Rob Pelinka is thinking the same thing — and that would give a tour real star power as Kobe is the biggest basketball name in China. Frankly, two barnstorming tours doesn’t make a lot of sense, Wasserman and Pelinka working together on one big one does.
Bryant and his agent Rob Pelinka are trying to put together the tour, said Minnesota Timberwolves rookie forward Derrick Williams, who also is represented by Pelinka. Williams said several clients of Pelinka’s agency, the Landmark Sports Agency, could be involved in the tour.
Kobe is the biggest star in China because — like his game — he worked at it. He’s been making big annual trips there for years touring the country, he has even set up a separate Kobe-funded charity to work just in China, and much more. Plus, he has rings (five of them) which is something valued culturally. (It’s what hold’s LeBron back.)
My guess is that if the start of the NBA season is delayed for any length of time, you will see these series of games happen. While agents don’t generally play well with each other, when their interests are aligned — as they would be here — the different sides will come together and if they do it they have the skills and connections to pull this off. In what form and where are in flux right now, but it might well happen.
- PBT Podcast: Free agency’s winners and losers 0
- Report: Boston Celtics agree to trade for David Lee for Gerald Wallace 7
- Report: Kevin Garnett to re-sign with Timberwolves 13
- Report: Mo Williams signing with Cavaliers for most of their MLE 22
- Report: Cavaliers, Clippers discussing Jamal Crawford for Brendan Haywood trade 26
- Reports: David West agrees to veteran minimum deal to play for Spurs 79
- Report: Marc Gasol, Grizzlies reach deal on five-year, $110 million contract 10
- Manu Ginobili tweets he’ll play next season 5