Jul 2, 2011, 3:00 PM EDT
Hope you like stories like these, ’cause you’re getting a lot of them from now until the lockout’s over.
Last May, Kyle Korver was driving down a rural Pennsylvania road. He saw a friend dealing with what looked to be a bloody mess on the side of the road. So he pulled over to help. He found his friend, local DJ Pierre Robert, trying to save a snapping turtle with a cracked shell.
Korver sprang into action. From the Philadelphia Inquirer:
Meanwhile, another car pulled over to help. It was Kyle Korver, an ex-76er who plays for the Chicago Bulls. Korver, a friend of Robert’s who still spends time in the area, coincidentally was driving by.
“There was blood everywhere,” Korver said in an interview. “I didn’t think [the turtle] was going to make it.”
Korver fetched a shopping bag from his SUV. Robert picked up the snapping turtle – a dangerous maneuver, Schubert later told him – and put it in the bag.
Robert placed the turtle on the backseat of his car, next to Lucy, his golden retriever.
“I’m talking to the turtle saying, ‘Don’t give up, turtle. It’s not too late,’ ” Robert said.
The turtle survived and was recently put back into the wild with a nasty, but functional, but partially missing shell. All’s well that ends well.
Well, outside of the fact that Korver went on to get torched defensively in the Eastern Conference Finals, losing to LeBron James in five games. I can hear you all now. “I bet LeBron James never saved a turtle!” Or better yet, “LeBron was going to save a turtle, but couldn’t. It was the fourth quarter!”
Also, definitely click through to see the photo of Robert and then think about Korver and he being friends.
Life is weird in a lockout.
- World Cup preview: No Durant, no problem USA still one of two teams with legit shot to win gold 1
- Cavaliers sold Kyrie Irving on contract extension with LeBron James-Kevin Love plan 32
- Kevin Love says Timberwolves owner should focus on his own team following trade to Cavaliers 34
- Iman Shumpert excited to play in triangle offense because he won’t just have to stand in the corner 9
- Timberwolves owner: Kevin Love might regret trade because he’ll be third banana with Cavaliers 48
- Anthony Davis and Kenneth Faried lead Team USA in final World Cup tune-up 20
- Thunder trade Hasheem Thabeet to 76ers 37
- From late-arriving to a LeBron James favorite, Kevin Love comes full circle 17