Jul 2, 2011, 3:00 PM EDT
Hope you like stories like these, ’cause you’re getting a lot of them from now until the lockout’s over.
Last May, Kyle Korver was driving down a rural Pennsylvania road. He saw a friend dealing with what looked to be a bloody mess on the side of the road. So he pulled over to help. He found his friend, local DJ Pierre Robert, trying to save a snapping turtle with a cracked shell.
Korver sprang into action. From the Philadelphia Inquirer:
Meanwhile, another car pulled over to help. It was Kyle Korver, an ex-76er who plays for the Chicago Bulls. Korver, a friend of Robert’s who still spends time in the area, coincidentally was driving by.
“There was blood everywhere,” Korver said in an interview. “I didn’t think [the turtle] was going to make it.”
Korver fetched a shopping bag from his SUV. Robert picked up the snapping turtle – a dangerous maneuver, Schubert later told him – and put it in the bag.
Robert placed the turtle on the backseat of his car, next to Lucy, his golden retriever.
“I’m talking to the turtle saying, ‘Don’t give up, turtle. It’s not too late,’ ” Robert said.
The turtle survived and was recently put back into the wild with a nasty, but functional, but partially missing shell. All’s well that ends well.
Well, outside of the fact that Korver went on to get torched defensively in the Eastern Conference Finals, losing to LeBron James in five games. I can hear you all now. “I bet LeBron James never saved a turtle!” Or better yet, “LeBron was going to save a turtle, but couldn’t. It was the fourth quarter!”
Also, definitely click through to see the photo of Robert and then think about Korver and he being friends.
Life is weird in a lockout.
- Shaq to Kobe on podcast: “I just want people to know that I don’t hate you” 10
- D’Angelo Russell on Tracy McGrady tweet: “Some Lakers fans are spoiled” 19
- Anthony Davis “definitely” plans on shooting more threes this season 4
- Jim Buss defends Byron Scott as Lakers coach, “He has the Laker blood in him” 24
- Jim Buss open to the idea of Kobe Bryant playing beyond this season 32
- Derrick Rose on sexual assault suit: “I am confident I will be proven innocent” 4
- Report: Kyrie Irving likely not back opening night, could be out until January 14
- Legendary Sixer, backboard-shattering dunker Darryl Dawkins dies at 58 14