Jul 1, 2011, 9:10 AM EDT
The NBA is not kidding around about this lockout stuff.
Marc Spears of Yahoo provides even more details on the contact ban.
The league gave team officials a long list of people connected to players that they can’t communicate with, including agents, family members, personal staff, workout guys and shoe representatives. Several sources said the league office is intent on cracking down on any violations, proposing hefty fines to teams and individuals and possibly even firings. If team officials have a chance encounter with players, they are ordered to record details of the meeting and report it.
Summer is the time of year when coaches can help their new rookies get acclimated to the system, or in the case of new coaches start reaching out to their players to have them learn what is coming. Players getting rehab in the summer after an injury or surgery often work with the team trainer to get healthy. A lot of players do a lot of their off-season training at team facilities — Blake Griffin can be found at the Clippers complex almost every day.
Not any more. Any contact like that is a $1 million fine for the teams.
That’s going to be especially frustrating for the coach that gets hired in Detroit soon, or the one hired in Minnesota down the line, guys who will have no contact with their players until this all ends. Whenever it all ends.
- John Calipari comes to defense of Derrick Rose 3
- Tony Allen fined $5,000 for overacting on Ginobili foul 12
- Preview: Pacers must take back paint to even series with Heat 4
- Celtics deny Nets permission to speak with head coach Doc Rivers 5
- PBT Extra: Talking Heat/Pacers, and why Indy might be optimistic 12
- Report: Dwight Howard will consider multiple teams in free agency, is said to be most intrigued by the Rockets (124)
- Alonzo Mourning says Scottie Pippen says LeBron would “kick Jordan’s ass” (81)
- LeBron’s triple-double, game-winner in overtime lead Heat to Game 1 win over Pacers (65)
- Pacers advance to the Eastern Conference Finals with Game 6 win over Knicks (60)
- If Phil Jackson could have any player to start a team it would be… Bill Russell (59)
- Watch LIVE: Pens-Sens, Game 5
- Tiger, LeBron and bids to be the best that ever lived
- PBT: Pacers must take back paint to beat Heat
- HBT: A-Rod sells Miami home for $30 million
- PST: Key battles for Champions League final
- Struggling Blackhawks on brink of elimination
- PHT: Wings push Blackhawks to brink | Highlights