Brian Scalabrine serious about taking his talents to Europe

Jul 1, 2011, 2:02 PM EST

Brian Scalabrine Getty Images

We told you it’s not going to be as easy as some players think for them to just jump over to Europe and play as the lockout drags on.

But if you’re a free agent who is willing to commit to a couple of years in Europe, it may work out.

Meet Brian Scalabrine, in most recent years seen sitting on the end of the Celtics and Bulls benches. He tells the Chicago Tribune he is serious about playing overseas.

“For me personally, if in the next 15 days it’s still kind of like it is now, I’m just going to Europe and play,” Scalabrine said in a phone interview. “The thing about that is you have to commit for the whole year and you have no out clauses whatsoever. I support the players and the union and want to see the (NBA) game stay great. But at the end of the day, with two years or so left of playing basketball, I’m not interested in watching billionaires fight. I just like the game too much. I like the camaraderie. I like to play. So why not do it in a great city in Europe and educate my family?”

In two weeks things are going to be exactly the same. I doubt the two sides will have even had another negotiation.

That sounds like a guy with the right attitude heading into it. And his game will translate, he is a guy who could help a European club. There will be offers, and not just for little teams in Finland, either.

1. 00maltliquor - Jul 1, 2011 at 2:09 PM

Hope Europe has comfortable benches. This guy does more sitting then a trained dog.

• zackd2 - Jul 1, 2011 at 4:55 PM

And a close locker room so he can run in and change when his team is about to win

2. gregjennings85 - Jul 1, 2011 at 5:41 PM

“Talents”? Sure, bud.

Also, isn’t that Michael Rappaport?

Riiiiiiiiight.

3. 1historian - Jul 1, 2011 at 7:57 PM

Good luck Brian – ignore the ignorant comments. They are GREEN with jealousy.

Their problem – not yours.

4. 1historian - Jul 1, 2011 at 8:00 PM

You wanna pay me about $1,000,000 a year for the next two years to come to Europe and play a GAME I love to play?

Yeah, that sounds ok – Where do I sign?

5. captainwisdom8888 - Jul 1, 2011 at 9:33 PM

Don’t go Brian! Who else can we count on to come off the bench and high-five the guys that actually play?

6. elotrain - Jul 1, 2011 at 11:02 PM

Scalabrine Nation will follow you!!!

7. asublimeday - Jul 4, 2011 at 2:55 PM

Brian and talent are not often found in the same sentence.

Jabari Parker injury latest for disappointing rookie class
Top 10 NBA Player Searches