Jun 30, 2011, 8:18 PM EST
The NBA told the players’ union during Thursday’s bargaining session that they would lock the players out once the current collective bargaining agreement expires at midnight Eastern, and now it has made the announcement to the rest of us via this official release.
Besides the obligatory quotes from NBA Deputy Commissioner Adam Silver attempting to defend the league’s decision, the statement also spells out exactly what the effects of a lockout will be on the league’s players.
During the lockout, players will not receive their salaries; teams will not negotiate, sign or trade player contracts; players will not be able to use team facilities for any purpose; and teams will not conduct or facilitate any summer camps, exhibitions, practices, workouts, coaching sessions, or team meetings.
The part about not being able to use team facilities for any purpose is worth noting, especially when you consider the predicament facing injured players who regularly work with team trainers there to rehab those injuries. Players in this situation will now have to find new facilities and new doctors to work with to get healthy, and do so presumably at their own cost.
This is just one interesting wrinkle of many that will unfold as the lockout begins to take shape. Next up will be the union’s official release, which undoubtedly is already on its way.
- League execs on Kyrie Irving’s recent struggles: ‘He’s pouting’ 24
- Report: Knicks have ‘zero intention’ of trading Carmelo Anthony 12
- PBT Podcast for Dec. 7: Kobe’s back and for the Lakers that means…. 6
- Kobe Bryant returning Sunday against Raptors 22
- Report: Rockets stepping up efforts to move Omer Asik 17
- LeBron says Wade is “getting that Kobe deal” in next contract. Should he? (64)
- Dwight Howard frustrated with Rockets’ effort in recent losses (48)
- Kobe Bryant dunks, looks good in Lakers practice; Friday return possible (45)
- Michael Beasley finding a role, groove in Miami (44)
- The Extra Pass: Our awards at the quarter pole, plus Monday recaps (42)