Jun 30, 2011, 8:10 AM EDT
The Charlotte Bobcats finally made the playoffs for the first time ever in 2010 and there were grand plans to build on that in 2011.
Not exactly how it went. Still, at the end of the season they had an outside chance to catch the Indiana Pacers, become the eight seed and be fodder for the Chicago Bulls in the first round. But that didn’t happen because with Stephen Jackson sidelined with injury the Bobcats could not generate enough offense to win games.
Jackson said he could have gone those last 10 games but he thinks the Bobcats didn’t want to make the playoffs. It was something he could say from a distance during his introductory press conference with the Milwaukee Bucks, the team he was traded to on draft night (via the Associated Press).
“The last 10 games, I could have played,” Jackson said. “But they shut me down. The team shut me down. So I kind of assumed they didn’t want to make the playoffs.”
It didn’t look like that on March 30, when Jackson was 1-of-4 shooting in 15 minutes against the Cavaliers. He looked off that game, and he missed a lot after that. But whatever he says.
Jackson said it felt like the Bobcats were building for winning three years from now, but he will turn 33 next season and he doesn’t want to wait around.
The Bucks are team looking to win now. Two seasons ago they came together at the end of the season and looked like a franchise on the rise, then Andrew Bogut had a gruesome elbow injury that continued to set the team back last season. Combine that with a suddenly anemic offense and it was time for changes — John Salmons is out and Jackson is in. If it works, the Bucks could surprise teams next season.
- Bulls fire Tom Thibodeau 1
- Dwight Howard: “I’m still a champion. And I won’t let anyone tell me anything different.” 54
- Rockets had an excellent season. Are they content with that? 18
- Harden struggles, Warriors role players step up leading team to Finals for first time in 40 years 33
- Dwight Howard hit with suspension-triggering technical foul 7
- PBT Extra: Cavaliers’ improved defense helps them to Finals 8
- Reports: Bulls getting closer to firing Tom Thibodeau 30
- PBT Extra: Despite ending, Hawks had season worth celebrating 3