Jun 30, 2011, 1:37 PM EST
Multiple reports now have the deal done, one trade right before the deadline.
The Cavaliers and Kings will swap young forwards, with J.J. Hickson going to the Kings for Omri Casspi. This deal may be the last before lockout begins at midnight, according to a tweet from Marc Stein or ESPN. The Cavaliers also would get a conditional first round pick from the Kings (lottery protected for one year, top 10 protected in the second year).
The two are both young forwards who play the same position (essentially, Casspi is listed as a three, Hickson a four, but both operate inside and out), but their games are very different. Hickson is an athletic, slashing forward who gets most of his shots at the rim and is not a great jump shooter. Hickson has improved as a rebounder in his three years in the league.
Hickson seemed a likely guy to be traded once the Cavaliers took Tristan Thompson No. 4 in the NBA Draft last week. Sacramento will likely use DeMarcus Cousins at the four and five and Hickson at the three and four, with Jason Thompson in the mix — that is a young and athletic front line.
Casspi has NBA shooting range — he hit 37 percent from three — but is not a guy who can attack the paint the same way. Hickson was a more productive player, but Casspi felt he was not used properly in Sacramento. With him the Cavaliers get some real toughness — the guy has fire in him. Fans will like him.
Both are on their rookie deals, so the salaries match up.
- PBT Extra: Anthony Davis’s MVP-level play, the Spurs and things to be thankful for 1
- Report: Knicks worried Carmelo Anthony’s back issue may be season-long concern 5
- Report: Lakers working on a one-year deal with Earl Clark 11
- Tom Thibodeau says Derrick Rose ‘didn’t re-injure himself’ after playing just 10 minutes in loss to Nuggets 18
- Lakers granted $4.85 million disabled-player exception for Steve Nash injury 12
- Kobe Bryant: “We’re not a 3-11 team. We’re not.” 27
- Tom Thibodeau is getting tired of answering Derrick Rose questions 15
- Veteran NBA coach: ‘I think (Cavaliers head coach David Blatt) is struggling a bit’ 30