Jun 30, 2011, 10:37 AM EDT
Carmelo Anthony has a case of elbow bursitis — a condition that flared up with the Nuggets before the trade and apparently was an issue during the playoffs — and has been receiving treatment at the Knicks facilities since the season ended, the New York Post reports.
If he were playing it could impact the follow through on his shots (the Post quotes Anthony saying it did at times during the season at points). He wore a sleeve on his elbow because of it. But in the offseason it’s just a one of a long list of nagging injuries players let heal.
It’s not that big a deal, except that his supervised treatments are about to end because of the lockout. Any player getting treatment (most doing rehab post surgery) will have to do it on their own now, without the team physician and trainers guiding them.
Elbow bursitis is an inflammation of the little sack of fluid that allows the skin on your elbow to easily slide over the bone. It likely got inflamed because of a hard blow to the elbow (which could happen any number of ways during a game). The treatment is really just rest, keeping pressure off the elbow and anti-inflammatory medications (unless he wanted to undergo surgery, which he likely does not).
This is not a serious condition, but it has limited his offseason workouts, according to the Post.
- Report: Dwight Howard not going to Clippers… did we need a report for that? 0
- Alonzo Mourning says Scottie Pippen says LeBron would “kick Jordan’s ass” 14
- Spurs shut down Zach Randolph in Western Conference Finals’ first major strategic move 0
- Report: Terrence Williams arrested in domestic violence case involving threats with a gun 5
- Kobe was never going to retire this summer, says so on twitter 16
- Knicks predictably drop Game 4 to Pacers, fall behind 3-1 (93)
- Report: Dwight Howard will consider multiple teams in free agency, is said to be most intrigued by the Rockets (90)
- Kobe Bryant responds to Michael Jordan comparison from Phil Jackson (84)
- Bradley Beal said he’d lose respect for a teammate who acted like Derrick Rose (67)
- LeBron James shrugs off claims he’s a flopper (64)
- Parker carves up Grizzlies as Spurs roll in Gm. 1
- PHT: Senators sneak past Penguins in two overtimes
- PHT: Bruins crack Lundqvist, hammer Rangers
- HBT: Cabrera rips three homers, passes Greenberg
- MST: No bumping on Bump Day at Indy 500
- PBT: Spurs have too much offense for Grizz in Gm. 1
- PST: Arsenal grabs Champions League spot
- Play Video: Grizzlies ready for 'running' Spurs
- Play Video: Durant won't 'compromise himself' like other stars
- Play Video: Knicks avoid elimination
- Play Video: Heat finish off Bulls, James 'has no energy left'
- Play Video: Health woes make Heat vulnerable
- Play Video: Good news for Sacramento, Kings stay