Jun 29, 2011, 2:11 PM EDT
Oklahoma City wants to keep its defensive-minded rotation at center in place.
To that end, they have reached a one-year extension with Nazr Mohammed, according to the Oklahoman. Terms of the deal are not public, but as a 13-year veteran you can expect it to be in the $1.5 million to $2 million range. At age 34 next season, just a one-year deal makes sense.
Mohammed is a defense and rebounding backup center, a steady one you can count on which is why the Thunder traded for him mid-season. He along with Kendrick Perkins, Serge Ibaka and Nick Collison give the Thunder a number of defensive-minded, paint protecting bigs. That was part of the reason they advanced to the Western Conference Finals, where they ran into a hot jump shooting Mavericks team that fired away over the top of those bigs.
This is a good deal for the Thunder, who now move on to bigger fish (or will when the lockout ends) — they need to sign Russell Westbrook to an extension. It will be at or near the max they can offer under the new Collective Bargaining Agreement, whatever that number turns out to be.
- PBT Extra: Previewing Heat/Spurs NBA Finals Game 7 0
- Utah Jazz bring back Jerry Sloan as team consultant 3
- Celtics, Clippers restart Doc Rivers-Kevin Garnett trades talks at Chris Paul’s wish 9
- Chris Bosh to fans who left Game 6 early: ‘Don’t come back for Game 7′ 35
- Wade says left knee sore, swollen, but will play through it 16
- NBA Finals Game 6: Heat comeback in fourth, win in overtime to force Game 7 (125)
- If Spurs win, it is LeBron’s legacy that will take biggest hit (85)
- Lakers unlikely to sign and trade Dwight Howard to the Clippers, Rockets, or anyone else (81)
- Chris Bosh blocks Spurs’ Game 6 comeback attempt (video) (79)
- Heat’s Big Three dominate Game 4 to even the Finals at two games apiece (74)
- LIVE: Bruins-Blackhawks, Game 4
- Posnanski: How Heat won a game of mistakes
- PHT: Can Blackhawks solve Rask in Game 4?
- PFT: Report: Hernandez accused of prior shooting
- CSN: Report: Hernandez 'not ruled out' as suspect
- GTC: Tiger pulls out of AT&T citing elbow issue
- HBT: Biogenesis suspensions still likely coming
- Play Video: Bosh: 'We'll see who hits first'
- Play Video: Clippers, Celtics discussions 'can't be wrong'
- Play Video: Elliot looks ahead to Game 6
- Play Video: The Hype: How much would you pay to punch someone?
- Play Video: If Heat lose, 'all hell will break loose'
- Play Video: Green breaks NBA finals 3-point record