Jun 29, 2011, 3:00 PM EDT
NBA players are looking to do things during the lockout other than workout and improve their Halo 3 skills. Well, some of them are, some just want to get better at Halo.
Armed with its star-studded NBA client list, Wasserman Media Group is proposing a basketball exhibition tournament in China as the agency explores moneymaking options for its players should there be an extended lockout … Wasserman in April began floating a plan to bring 15 to 20 of its NBA clients to China for a two-or three-week tournament if there is a work stoppage.
The idea would be mixed teams of NBA stars with the best of the Chinese players in a tournament of games that would tour parts of China.
This is still in the “throw the line in the water and see if we get some nibbles” stage of development, but it’s the kind of thing with the kind of agency behind it that could pull something together. That said, there are a lot of major hurdles to clear, from insurance for the players to dealing with the Chinese Basketball Association.
There are 45 current NBA players represented by Wasserman, including current league MVP Derrick Rose of the Chicago Bulls. Other guys under the umbrella (held up by Arn Tellem) are Joe Johnson and Al Horford, Russell Westbrook, LaMarcus Aldridge and Pau Gasol.
Go ahead and shake your head if you want, but if this lockout stretches into December you might be trying hard to find a stream of these games just to get your NBA fix.
- Nets use 18-0 second-half run to secure Game 3 victory over Hawks 2
- Mavericks coach Rick Carlisle fined $25K for publicly criticizing officials after Game 3 loss to Rockets 5
- PBT Extra: Stephen Curry starting to have his defining playoff moments 8
- Behind 32 points from Kawhi Leonard, Spurs rout Clippers to take 2-1 series lead 13
- The Truth (and Marcin Gortat) will set Washington free, up 3-0 on Toronto after win 8
- James Harden scores 42 points to lead Rockets to Game 3 win, 3-0 series lead over Mavericks 17
- Why can’t the Pelicans foul in a timely manner? 7
- PBT Extra: No Rajon Rondo, no Chandler Parsons, Dallas is in trouble vs. Houston 6