Jun 29, 2011, 3:00 PM EDT
NBA players are looking to do things during the lockout other than workout and improve their Halo 3 skills. Well, some of them are, some just want to get better at Halo.
Armed with its star-studded NBA client list, Wasserman Media Group is proposing a basketball exhibition tournament in China as the agency explores moneymaking options for its players should there be an extended lockout … Wasserman in April began floating a plan to bring 15 to 20 of its NBA clients to China for a two-or three-week tournament if there is a work stoppage.
The idea would be mixed teams of NBA stars with the best of the Chinese players in a tournament of games that would tour parts of China.
This is still in the “throw the line in the water and see if we get some nibbles” stage of development, but it’s the kind of thing with the kind of agency behind it that could pull something together. That said, there are a lot of major hurdles to clear, from insurance for the players to dealing with the Chinese Basketball Association.
There are 45 current NBA players represented by Wasserman, including current league MVP Derrick Rose of the Chicago Bulls. Other guys under the umbrella (held up by Arn Tellem) are Joe Johnson and Al Horford, Russell Westbrook, LaMarcus Aldridge and Pau Gasol.
Go ahead and shake your head if you want, but if this lockout stretches into December you might be trying hard to find a stream of these games just to get your NBA fix.
- Jahlil Okafor: “Rookie of the Year is one of the goals I set for myself” 12
- Report: Derrick Rose undecided about attending Team USA minicamp 8
- Report: Pacers planning to purchase D-League’s Fort Wayne Mad Ants 3
- Report: Hawks’ Mike Scott told police after arrest all drugs in car were his 17
- NBA lands in Africa trying to put down roots, which is all about youth programs, infrastructure 1
- Report: Kings expected to hire Nancy Lieberman as assistant coach 9
- Report: Hawks’ Mike Scott arrested for felony drug possession 16
- Gilbert Arenas on LeBron James: “James isn’t a #1 option..and yes I (didn’t stutter)” 50