Jun 29, 2011, 8:34 PM EDT
One of Mike Brown’s former assistants in Cleveland will be joining him in Los Angeles. According to Arash Markazi of ESPN Los Angeles, the Los Angeles Lakers have hired former Detroit Pistons head coach as an assistant:
“I’m extremely excited to have John join the team as a member of my coaching staff,” Lakers coach Mike Brown said in a statement. “Having previously worked together in Cleveland, I know what assets he will bring to the team. His ability to effectively communicate with the players while teaching them valuable skills on both ends of the court is a quality that I respect and value. I look forward to working with him again.”
Kuester had been an NBA assistant coach for a long time, but his main claim to fame before becoming head coach of the Pistons was being known as Brown’s “offensive coordinator” during the 2008-09 season, when the Cavs went from being the 17th-best offensive team in the league to the 4th-best offensive team in the league. Throughout the season, Brown, who had the reputation as a less-than-creative offensive coach, openly called Kuester his “offensive coordinator,” which was somewhat unprecedented in the NBA.
Much of that jump in offensive efficiency was due to the Cavs adding Mo Williams and Delonte West during the 2008 off-season, and the Cavalier offense didn’t suffer much when current Warriors assistant Mike Malone took over the “offensive coordinator” spot in the 2009-10 season.
Kuester’s head coaching stint in Detroit was something of an unmitigated disaster, but Brown clearly trusts him to oversee his offense, and his addition to the Lakers’ coaching staff should help Coach Brown as he attempts to replace the legendary Phil Jackson as the head coach of the Lakers.
- Rockets had an excellent season. Are they content with that? 2
- Harden struggles, Warriors role players step up leading team to Finals for first time in 40 years 12
- Dwight Howard hit with suspension-triggering technical foul 6
- PBT Extra: Cavaliers’ improved defense helps them to Finals 7
- Reports: Bulls getting closer to firing Tom Thibodeau 23
- PBT Extra: Despite ending, Hawks had season worth celebrating 3
- Bucks’ Jared Dudley: “Most guys don’t want to play with Kobe” 63
- PBT Extra: Expect a healthy Stephen Curry for Game 5… sorry Houston 4