Jun 28, 2011, 9:13 AM EST
Next season, whenever it starts, is going to see Tim Duncan in the middle for the San Antonio Spurs. As it should, it will look and feel wrong when the day comes he doesn’t fill that role.
Duncan could opt out of his deal and force the Spurs to renegotiate with him, but he’s not going to do that , according to Jeff McDonald at the Express-News Spurs blog.
As such, Duncan will play out the final year of his existing deal, during which he is scheduled to earn $21.2 million, and remains on track to become a free agent after the 2011-12 campaign.
Duncan is 35 and while he will get another contract after this one if he wants it, the money will be nowhere near this number. Looks like he wants to take the last big payday — he’s earned it for what he has brought the Spurs — then decide what is next.
The Spurs are not offering an extension to him… at least not yet. They want to have his new deal be under the new Collective Bargaining Rules, whatever they may be. The owners will like those rules better, whatever they are.
Duncan can become a free agent but it is hard to see him leaving San Antonio. Remember last time he renegotiated a deal he took less than max money so the Spurs could bring in other guys. Frankly, I don’t want to see Duncan in any other uniform. It would just feel wrong.
- Kevin Hart to write, star in movie with LeBron James 6
- The Extra Pass: A Google goggle revolution dream, plus Wednesday’s recaps 3
- Wednesday night NBA Grades: LaMarcus Aldridge is a flat out stud 8
- Arena evacuated after fire, Spurs-Timberwolves game in Mexico City postponed 17
- Milwaukee police release video, cite Larry Sanders for bar fight 12
- LeBron says Wade is “getting that Kobe deal” in next contract. Should he? (63)
- Report: Dion Waiters accused Kyrie Irving, Tristan Thompson of playing “buddy ball.” (53)
- The Extra Pass: Our awards at the quarter pole, plus Monday recaps (42)
- Michael Beasley finding a role, groove in Miami (41)
- With game in balance, Jason Kidd tells player to “hit me,” spills drink, gets psuedo timeout to draw up play (40)