Jun 28, 2011, 3:36 PM EDT
It’s worth remembering that no key player in the Thunder rotation other than Kendrick Perkins was over the age of 22 in the last playoffs. This is a young team that remains all about the future.
So it is without a surprise that the Thunder exercised the options on a number of their young players Tuesday — James Harden, Serge Ibaka, Eric Maynor, Byron Mullens and Cole Aldrich. That via a tweet from Royce Young over at Daily Thunder.
That keeps all these guys with the team for at least another year. The Thunder likely will work out some kind of longer-term deal with Harden and Ibaka, once everyone sees the new Collective Bargaining Agreement. They are playing key roles for the team going forward.
Not all of these guys may stick — with the Thunder drafting Reggie Jackson out of Boston College they may look to trade Maynor. But you pick up his option anyway so you can trade him down the line. Basically this was a no-brainer decision and the Thunder front office has a lot of brains, so it was an easy call.
- Celtics deny Nets permission to speak with head coach Doc Rivers 1
- PBT Extra: Talking Heat/Pacers, and why Indy might be optimistic 6
- If Phil Jackson could have any player to start a team it would be… Bill Russell 39
- LeBron, Durant, Kobe headline All NBA First Team 25
- It’s official: Krzyzewski back to coach Team USA through Rio Olympics 1
- Report: Dwight Howard will consider multiple teams in free agency, is said to be most intrigued by the Rockets (122)
- Kobe Bryant responds to Michael Jordan comparison from Phil Jackson (91)
- Alonzo Mourning says Scottie Pippen says LeBron would “kick Jordan’s ass” (77)
- Bradley Beal said he’d lose respect for a teammate who acted like Derrick Rose (67)
- Pacers advance to the Eastern Conference Finals with Game 6 win over Knicks (60)
- Struggling Blackhawks on brink of elimination
- PHT: Wings push Blackhawks to brink | Highlights
- PHT: Kreider keeps Rangers alive | Highlights
- PHT: Kings defend home ice, up 3-2 | Highlights
- PBT: Hibbert says Battier's knee to groin intentional
- OlyTalk: Lochte says Phelps will return soon
- CSN: Francona returns to Boston | Legacy?