Jun 28, 2011, 1:19 PM EDT
Summer is usually the time teams get a long up close look at the guys they drafted and some free agents they may want to fill out the roster. There is Summer League and team workouts and some time to really evaluate guys.
Not this summer. This summer is all about the lockout.
So the Atlanta Hawks have decided to cram in a little mini-camp before they lock everyone out, according to the Atlanta Journal Constitution.
The Hawks are squeezing in a three-day minicamp for draft pick Keith Benson plus 17 free agents who weren’t under NBA contract at the end of last season. There’s a real sense of something at stake for the players, too, since the team has up to eight open roster spots next season.
“They are just showcasing their talents and trying to make a ball club,” Hawks coach Larry Drew said after the morning session on Monday. “I told them this is a great opportunity.”
Two of the guys PBT mentioned in our “six good players who went undrafted” story are there: Ohio State’s David Lightly and Pitt’s Brad Wanamaker.
Smart move by the Hawks. If the lockout drags on and training camps are reduced, a lot of these guys are not going to get the full chance to really show they belong that they would have otherwise.
- If Spurs win, it is LeBron’s legacy that will take biggest hit (82)
- Lakers unlikely to sign and trade Dwight Howard to the Clippers, Rockets, or anyone else (81)
- LeBron James: “I just have to play better” (77)
- Heat’s Big Three dominate Game 4 to even the Finals at two games apiece (74)
- Report: Clippers, Celtics talks to send Garnett, Rivers to L.A. stalled (72)
- Can Heat focus enough to avoid elimination?
- CSN: Bruins' defense never rests in Game 3 win
- CSN: Celtics-Clippers KG, Rivers trade talks dead
- PFT: Freed Johnson wants second chance in NFL
- PBT: Judges rules Iverson did not kidnap children
- PFT: Rodgers says Packers' moves a 'wake-up call'
- PFT: Beckham turned down chance to kick in NFL
- Play Video: Bosh: 'We'll see who hits first'
- Play Video: PBT Extra: LeBron's legacy at stake, Duncan's safe
- Play Video: Clippers, Celtics discussions 'can't be wrong'
- Play Video: Elliot looks ahead to Game 6
- Play Video: The Hype: How much would you pay to punch someone?
- Play Video: If Heat lose, 'all hell will break loose'