Jun 28, 2011, 12:46 PM EDT
When introduced to the fans and media recently, Bobcats draft pick Bismack Biyombo essentially blew off concerns about a buyout with his Spanish club.
It isn’t quite that simple, reports the Associated Press. The two sides are expected to sit down Friday and see if they can reach a deal.
Jorge Sanz, spokesman for the Madrid-based team Fuenlabrada, said Biyombo has two seasons left on his deal and his buyout clause is more than $1.4 million. NBA rules say the Bobcats can’t pay more than $500,000 toward a buyout.
While Sanz said the team has accepted and won’t fight the 18-year-old Congo native’s desire to leave, it expects to receive the buyout.
“We have to reach an agreement over the compensation for the club,” Sanz said. “On July 1 there is a mediation session. We are asking for the million euros that is stated in his contract. If we don’t reach an agreement, it will go to court and a judge will decide.”
The Bobcats have expected this to get resolved, but it’s hard to fault Fuenlabrada for wanting to get paid what the contract says.
The pending NBA lockout could impact these negotiations and where Biyombo plays next season, as well.
Biyombo, a native of the Congo, was taken No. 7 overall by the Bobcats. He is maybe the most athletic guy in this draft and has proven to be a good shot blocker and rebounder in the Spanish league. But his offense is painfully raw and he has a lot of developing to do.
- Timberwolves owner: Kevin Love might regret trade because he’ll be third banana with Cavaliers 38
- Anthony Davis and Kenneth Faried lead Team USA in final World Cup tune-up 16
- Thunder trade Hasheem Thabeet to 76ers 33
- From late-arriving to a LeBron James favorite, Kevin Love comes full circle 14
- Clippers trade Jared Dudley and first rounder to Bucks for Carlos Delfino and Miroslav Raduljica 22
- Report: Cavaliers trying to trade for Nuggets’ Timofey Mozgov 25
- Cavaliers, with LeBron James and Kevin Love, favored by oddsmakers to win 2015 NBA title 29
- Scout says Carmelo Anthony can be good triangle fit — if he moves the ball 20