Jun 28, 2011, 12:46 PM EDT
When introduced to the fans and media recently, Bobcats draft pick Bismack Biyombo essentially blew off concerns about a buyout with his Spanish club.
It isn’t quite that simple, reports the Associated Press. The two sides are expected to sit down Friday and see if they can reach a deal.
Jorge Sanz, spokesman for the Madrid-based team Fuenlabrada, said Biyombo has two seasons left on his deal and his buyout clause is more than $1.4 million. NBA rules say the Bobcats can’t pay more than $500,000 toward a buyout.
While Sanz said the team has accepted and won’t fight the 18-year-old Congo native’s desire to leave, it expects to receive the buyout.
“We have to reach an agreement over the compensation for the club,” Sanz said. “On July 1 there is a mediation session. We are asking for the million euros that is stated in his contract. If we don’t reach an agreement, it will go to court and a judge will decide.”
The Bobcats have expected this to get resolved, but it’s hard to fault Fuenlabrada for wanting to get paid what the contract says.
The pending NBA lockout could impact these negotiations and where Biyombo plays next season, as well.
Biyombo, a native of the Congo, was taken No. 7 overall by the Bobcats. He is maybe the most athletic guy in this draft and has proven to be a good shot blocker and rebounder in the Spanish league. But his offense is painfully raw and he has a lot of developing to do.
- If Phil Jackson could have any player to start a team it would be… Bill Russell 12
- LeBron, Durant, Kobe headline All NBA First Team 17
- It’s official: Krzyzewski back to coach Team USA through Rio Olympics 1
- Hibbert said he will speak up in future, demand to be in game at end 11
- Chris Andersen complements Heat’s Big Three so well 26
- Report: Dwight Howard will consider multiple teams in free agency, is said to be most intrigued by the Rockets (122)
- Kobe Bryant responds to Michael Jordan comparison from Phil Jackson (89)
- Alonzo Mourning says Scottie Pippen says LeBron would “kick Jordan’s ass” (76)
- Bradley Beal said he’d lose respect for a teammate who acted like Derrick Rose (67)
- Pacers advance to the Eastern Conference Finals with Game 6 win over Knicks (60)
- Lochte says Phelps will return soon
- Tebow fact: He reminds Chuck Norris of Chuck Norris
- LeBron stuns Pacers with OT winner in Game 1
- HBT: Astros vendor fired after taking food into bathroom
- PHT: Avs name Hall of Famer Roy as head coach
- Pens overwhelm Sens, take 3-1 series lead
- Tiger calls Sergio's comments inappropriate, hurtful