Jun 28, 2011, 10:47 AM EST
UPDATE 8:57 pm: As much fun as this sounded like, it turns out not to be true.
10:47 am: We warn you to take this report out of Finland with more salt than you would use to make graavikala — traditional Finnish salt-cured fish. So a lot.
But the Finnish paper iltasanomat.fi is reporting Ron Artest has agreed to play “multiple games” with Loimaan Korikonkarit of the Finnish league (Ball in Europe has the translation and confirmation). These would be some preseason games, apparently, although if there is a lockout still going on it could be extended, te report says. That team has the same GM who three years ago brought in a 42-year-old Scottie Pippen for one game, and before that had Dennis Rodman for about as long (at the GM’s previous team).
If it were most players we’d blow this report off — the original paper in question apparently has a reputation for sensationalizing stories (according to a PBT reader in Finland). But this Metta World Peace we are talking about. It’s hard to rule anything out.
This reportedly is not tied to an NBA lockout, although it would almost have to be as it’s hard to see the Lakers okaying this. Artest is still under contract with the Lakers. And that could be a problem — players under contract in one NBA league need a “Letter of Clearance” from FIBA to compete in another league. FIBA has hinted they might grant these type of letters if the NBA locks out for the season. But would he get clearance to play in September, as the article suggests?
Artest himself has yet to comment.
Our reader on the ground said the Finnish league is far from the top of the European hoops food chain — American players tend to end up there after they have washed out of other European leagues. Finland is a hockey first country, but Artest would certainly draw some interest.
Not sure this is really going to happen. If fact, likely nothing will happen. But Metta World Peace has done stranger things.
- PBT’s Wednesday NBA Winners/Losers: Ettore Messina making history for Spurs 1
- LeBron James, Cavaliers have kind of game they need to replicate blowing out Wizards 4
- Gregg Popovich to miss game following ‘minor medical procedure’ 7
- PBT Extra: Anthony Davis’s MVP-level play, the Spurs and things to be thankful for 7
- Report: Knicks worried Carmelo Anthony’s back issue may be season-long concern 10
- Report: Lakers working on a one-year deal with Earl Clark 13
- Tom Thibodeau says Derrick Rose ‘didn’t re-injure himself’ after playing just 10 minutes in loss to Nuggets 20
- Lakers granted $4.85 million disabled-player exception for Steve Nash injury 13