Jun 28, 2011, 10:47 AM EDT
UPDATE 8:57 pm: As much fun as this sounded like, it turns out not to be true.
10:47 am: We warn you to take this report out of Finland with more salt than you would use to make graavikala — traditional Finnish salt-cured fish. So a lot.
But the Finnish paper iltasanomat.fi is reporting Ron Artest has agreed to play “multiple games” with Loimaan Korikonkarit of the Finnish league (Ball in Europe has the translation and confirmation). These would be some preseason games, apparently, although if there is a lockout still going on it could be extended, te report says. That team has the same GM who three years ago brought in a 42-year-old Scottie Pippen for one game, and before that had Dennis Rodman for about as long (at the GM’s previous team).
If it were most players we’d blow this report off — the original paper in question apparently has a reputation for sensationalizing stories (according to a PBT reader in Finland). But this Metta World Peace we are talking about. It’s hard to rule anything out.
This reportedly is not tied to an NBA lockout, although it would almost have to be as it’s hard to see the Lakers okaying this. Artest is still under contract with the Lakers. And that could be a problem — players under contract in one NBA league need a “Letter of Clearance” from FIBA to compete in another league. FIBA has hinted they might grant these type of letters if the NBA locks out for the season. But would he get clearance to play in September, as the article suggests?
Artest himself has yet to comment.
Our reader on the ground said the Finnish league is far from the top of the European hoops food chain — American players tend to end up there after they have washed out of other European leagues. Finland is a hockey first country, but Artest would certainly draw some interest.
Not sure this is really going to happen. If fact, likely nothing will happen. But Metta World Peace has done stranger things.
- Report: Cavaliers last team standing in Kevin Love trade talks 0
- Pat Riley says he didn’t think LeBron was leaving, Heat can turn around quickly 28
- Coach K on Rose: “Derrick’s played great, not good, and hasn’t held anything back” 17
- Report: Anthony Bennett pulled from pro-am by agent, possibly due to his inclusion in Kevin Love trade talks 42
- Report: Sixers fighting against immediate changes to NBA Draft Lottery system 56
- Team USA going small ball, but how many bigs do they keep on the bench? 4
- Report: LeBron James more popular than he ever was with the Heat 15
- Durant says 2014 USA team better than 2010 version that won gold 6