Jun 28, 2011, 9:31 PM EDT
The sad saga of former Boston Celtics forward and NBA All-Star forward Antoine Walker continued today, as Walker pled guilty to felony bad check charges. The Las Vegas Sun’s Conor Shine has the story (hat tip to CBS’ Eye on Basketball):
Professional basketball’s Antoine Walker pleaded guilty to felony bad check charges Tuesday morning in Clark County District Court.
Walker, a former NBA all-star who now plays for the Idaho Stampede in the NBA Development League, will likely face no jail time under a plea agreement with prosecutors, and instead will be put on probation as he works to pay off gambling debts of more than $750,000 owed to three casinos.
His sentencing is set for Nov. 1.
“Being put on probation, he’ll have a court order to pay the restitution to the casinos,” said Deputy District Attorney Sam Bateman.
Walker, 34 was not present in court, and his guilty plea was entered on his behalf by attorneys.
The criminal complaint was filed in the summer of 2009, when Walker failed to pay back gambling debts at Caesars Palace, Planet Hollywood and the Red Rock Resort.
He pleaded not guilty to six felony counts related to drawing checks without sufficient funds with attempt to defraud in June 2010, before changing his plea Tuesday.
The cash-starved Walker attempted comebacks in the D-League and in Puerto Rico, but both were ultimately unsuccessful. For now, it looks like Walker’s future will be to serve as a cautionary tale to future NBA players about how not to manage your millions, especially with a lockout looming on the horizon.
- Metta World Peace says Howard isn’t going anywhere because he has a hold on his… um… those 16
- In praise of the brilliant, baffling Manu Ginobili 20
- If Doc is out, who is in for Celtics? Maybe Del Negro, Frank 15
- Where does Celtics’ Rivers, Garnett trade to Clippers stand? They’re talking. 28
- Boris Diaw’s defense slowed LeBron down. I know, right? 26
- Lakers unlikely to sign and trade Dwight Howard to the Clippers, Rockets, or anyone else (81)
- LeBron James: “I just have to play better” (77)
- Heat’s Big Three dominate Game 4 to even the Finals at two games apiece (74)
- Report: Clippers, Celtics talks to send Garnett, Rivers to L.A. stalled (72)
- Reports: Jason Kidd finalizes deal, will be Nets new coach (62)
- Bruins stymie Blackhawks, take Game 3
- Survival and heartbreak at US Open
- Protesters back in streets of Brazilian cities
- Radio hosts fired for mocking ex-NFL player with ALS
- Posnanski: More Open heartbreak for Mickelson
- PHT: Bruins go 'above and beyond' in Gm. 3
- PHT: Hossa day to day with upper-body injury