Jun 28, 2011, 9:31 PM EST
The sad saga of former Boston Celtics forward and NBA All-Star forward Antoine Walker continued today, as Walker pled guilty to felony bad check charges. The Las Vegas Sun’s Conor Shine has the story (hat tip to CBS’ Eye on Basketball):
Professional basketball’s Antoine Walker pleaded guilty to felony bad check charges Tuesday morning in Clark County District Court.
Walker, a former NBA all-star who now plays for the Idaho Stampede in the NBA Development League, will likely face no jail time under a plea agreement with prosecutors, and instead will be put on probation as he works to pay off gambling debts of more than $750,000 owed to three casinos.
His sentencing is set for Nov. 1.
“Being put on probation, he’ll have a court order to pay the restitution to the casinos,” said Deputy District Attorney Sam Bateman.
Walker, 34 was not present in court, and his guilty plea was entered on his behalf by attorneys.
The criminal complaint was filed in the summer of 2009, when Walker failed to pay back gambling debts at Caesars Palace, Planet Hollywood and the Red Rock Resort.
He pleaded not guilty to six felony counts related to drawing checks without sufficient funds with attempt to defraud in June 2010, before changing his plea Tuesday.
The cash-starved Walker attempted comebacks in the D-League and in Puerto Rico, but both were ultimately unsuccessful. For now, it looks like Walker’s future will be to serve as a cautionary tale to future NBA players about how not to manage your millions, especially with a lockout looming on the horizon.
- Five Things We Learned in NBA Wednesday: Masked Russell Westbrook just needs a cape 0
- George Karl: Knicks could use a strong point guard next to Carmelo Anthony 8
- Ray Allen announces he will not play this season 14
- Pelicans’ Anthony Davis a gametime decision Wednesday vs. Pistons 1
- Derek Fisher questions ‘character and integrity’ of players after Knicks lose to Kings by 38 points 29
- Five Things We Learned in NBA Tuesday: The Hawks clinched playoff spot in front of Josh Smith 6
- Nuggets need to decide direction, then hire coach 18
- Report: Russell Westbrook ‘likely’ to return to Thunder lineup Wednesday, will wear protective mask 13