Jun 28, 2011, 9:31 PM EDT
The sad saga of former Boston Celtics forward and NBA All-Star forward Antoine Walker continued today, as Walker pled guilty to felony bad check charges. The Las Vegas Sun’s Conor Shine has the story (hat tip to CBS’ Eye on Basketball):
Professional basketball’s Antoine Walker pleaded guilty to felony bad check charges Tuesday morning in Clark County District Court.
Walker, a former NBA all-star who now plays for the Idaho Stampede in the NBA Development League, will likely face no jail time under a plea agreement with prosecutors, and instead will be put on probation as he works to pay off gambling debts of more than $750,000 owed to three casinos.
His sentencing is set for Nov. 1.
“Being put on probation, he’ll have a court order to pay the restitution to the casinos,” said Deputy District Attorney Sam Bateman.
Walker, 34 was not present in court, and his guilty plea was entered on his behalf by attorneys.
The criminal complaint was filed in the summer of 2009, when Walker failed to pay back gambling debts at Caesars Palace, Planet Hollywood and the Red Rock Resort.
He pleaded not guilty to six felony counts related to drawing checks without sufficient funds with attempt to defraud in June 2010, before changing his plea Tuesday.
The cash-starved Walker attempted comebacks in the D-League and in Puerto Rico, but both were ultimately unsuccessful. For now, it looks like Walker’s future will be to serve as a cautionary tale to future NBA players about how not to manage your millions, especially with a lockout looming on the horizon.
- Anthony Davis says James Harden should be MVP 12
- Stop judging J.J. Redick by his Duke days if you haven’t already 5
- Thunder say Kevin Durant underwent successful bone graft surgery, will return in 4-6 months 4
- Five Things We Learned in NBA Monday: DeMar DeRozan went Harden on Harden 12
- Derrick Rose returns to full-contact practice, Bulls return date still unknown 13
- Report: Sacramento consultant Chris Mullin to take St. John’s head coaching job 4
- PBT Extra: Taking twitter questions on Clippers, Michael Carter-Williams, more 7
- PBT’s NBA Power Rankings: Cream rising to top as playoffs near 28