Jun 28, 2011, 9:31 PM EDT
The sad saga of former Boston Celtics forward and NBA All-Star forward Antoine Walker continued today, as Walker pled guilty to felony bad check charges. The Las Vegas Sun’s Conor Shine has the story (hat tip to CBS’ Eye on Basketball):
Professional basketball’s Antoine Walker pleaded guilty to felony bad check charges Tuesday morning in Clark County District Court.
Walker, a former NBA all-star who now plays for the Idaho Stampede in the NBA Development League, will likely face no jail time under a plea agreement with prosecutors, and instead will be put on probation as he works to pay off gambling debts of more than $750,000 owed to three casinos.
His sentencing is set for Nov. 1.
“Being put on probation, he’ll have a court order to pay the restitution to the casinos,” said Deputy District Attorney Sam Bateman.
Walker, 34 was not present in court, and his guilty plea was entered on his behalf by attorneys.
The criminal complaint was filed in the summer of 2009, when Walker failed to pay back gambling debts at Caesars Palace, Planet Hollywood and the Red Rock Resort.
He pleaded not guilty to six felony counts related to drawing checks without sufficient funds with attempt to defraud in June 2010, before changing his plea Tuesday.
The cash-starved Walker attempted comebacks in the D-League and in Puerto Rico, but both were ultimately unsuccessful. For now, it looks like Walker’s future will be to serve as a cautionary tale to future NBA players about how not to manage your millions, especially with a lockout looming on the horizon.
- Report: Lakers working to clear out more cap space to land both LaMarcus Aldridge, DeAndre Jordan 25
- PBT Extra: What players will most influence free agency? 1
- PBT Podcast: The top guys to watch as NBA free agency tips off 1
- Scottie Pippen: “I was LeBron James before LeBron James” 26
- Report: Kings probing John Calipari about his interest in coaching and running the team’s front office 22
- Report: Chicago Bulls give Jimmy Butler max qualifying offer 18
- Report: Dwyane Wade will not opt-in with Heat, to become free agent (as expected) 31
- Report: Knicks front runner to land Arron Afflalo (and Greg Monroe, too) 27