Jun 27, 2011, 8:52 PM EDT
Ever since the Warriors’ new management team took the club over from former owner Chris Cohan, they’ve been making moves to try and signal to the fans that things will be different in Oakland now that there are some new sheriffs in town. Here’s their latest move, with the news coming courtesy of Marcus Thompson of The Contra Costa Times:
Tuesday, the Warriors will announce they have acquired a team in the NBA Development League, according to multiple sources. The Dakota Wizards will be owned and run by GSW, LLC.
What, you don’t classify that as a big announcement? Me neither.
The hope is to move the team to San Jose, but it probably won’t happen right away, one source said. Another source said the Warriors will explore multiple Northern California options. Either way, the team will stay in Dakota for at least a year.
The Warriors’ current D-League affiliate is the Reno Bighorns. Not sure yet if the Bighorns will stay Golden State’s affiliate for next season, whenever next season starts, or they will switch to the Wizards. Certainly would be better logistically for the the Warriors to send their youngsters to Reno instead of all the way to North Dakota.
But, eventually, the hope is the Warriors’ D-League affiliate will be in the Bay Area, likely San Jose.
The Warriors will be the fourth team to own an D-League squad. The San Antonio Spurs own the Austin Toros. The Los Angeles Lakers on the L.A. D-Fenders. The Oklahoma City Thunder own the Tulsa 66ers.
While this isn’t a “big” announcement, it is another sign that the Warriors’ new management team is willing to spend money in order to upgrade the team. The Warriors have used the D-League to find players for their NBA team as much as any other team has, so it’s only natural that they now own their very own D-League franchise.
- PBT Extra: Spurs lead Texas winners in NBA Free Agency 0
- J.J. Redick: Clippers deserve “F” for free agency after losing DeAndre Jordan 15
- PBT Podcast: Free agency’s winners and losers 0
- Report: Boston Celtics agree to trade for David Lee for Gerald Wallace 13
- Report: Kevin Garnett to re-sign with Timberwolves 16
- Report: Mo Williams signing with Cavaliers for most of their MLE 23
- Report: Cavaliers, Clippers discussing Jamal Crawford for Brendan Haywood trade 26
- Reports: David West agrees to veteran minimum deal to play for Spurs 80