Jun 27, 2011, 2:24 PM EDT
Dave Checketts was the New York Knicks president the last time they were good — back when the Knicks were built around Patrick Ewing and they were flirting with a title (they never got), Checkets was steering the ship.
Now he is advising Tom Gores, the new Detroit Pistons owner, according to Marc Stein at ESPN.
Yet sources said that Gores is also taking a level of input from Checketts, who headed up New York’s management structure when the Knicks were built around Ewing. NBA.com reported Friday that the Pistons had expanded their coach search to include Ewing, who currently serves as an assistant coach with the Orlando Magic.
I don’t care how he got it, Ewing deserves some job interviews. Former Hawks coach Mike Woodson is still considered the front-runner, former Nets headman Lawrence Frank reportedly had a great interview, and Pistons legend Bill Laimbeer is the clear fan favorite.
Having Checketts on board is a smart move for Gores. Checketts has most recently been involved with the St. Louis Blues of the NHL but has a very good sports business background. A new owner in consultants who have had some success in other places — like Golden State did with Jerry West — is a smart play.
- Chris Andersen complements Heat’s Big Three so well 5
- Pacers’ coach Vogel explains decision to bench Hibbert late, says ‘we’ll probably have him in next time’ 4
- LeBron’s triple-double, game-winner in overtime lead Heat to Game 1 win over Pacers 16
- LeBron’s game-winning layup at the overtime buzzer gives Heat Game 1 win over Pacers (VIDEO) 18
- Report: Carmelo Anthony has torn labrum, may need surgery 5
- Report: Dwight Howard will consider multiple teams in free agency, is said to be most intrigued by the Rockets (122)
- Kobe Bryant responds to Michael Jordan comparison from Phil Jackson (89)
- Alonzo Mourning says Scottie Pippen says LeBron would “kick Jordan’s ass” (75)
- Bradley Beal said he’d lose respect for a teammate who acted like Derrick Rose (67)
- Pacers advance to the Eastern Conference Finals with Game 6 win over Knicks (60)
- LeBron stuns Pacers with OT winner in Game 1
- Pens overwhelm Sens, take 3-1 series lead
- Tiger calls Sergio's comments inappropriate, hurtful
- Bears great Urlacher announces retirement
- HBT: Canseco suspect in Vegas sexual assault
- Posnanski on Golf: Sergio shows disdain for Tiger
- OlyTalk: Coach K will lead Team USA in Rio Games