Jun 27, 2011, 2:24 PM EDT
Dave Checketts was the New York Knicks president the last time they were good — back when the Knicks were built around Patrick Ewing and they were flirting with a title (they never got), Checkets was steering the ship.
Now he is advising Tom Gores, the new Detroit Pistons owner, according to Marc Stein at ESPN.
Yet sources said that Gores is also taking a level of input from Checketts, who headed up New York’s management structure when the Knicks were built around Ewing. NBA.com reported Friday that the Pistons had expanded their coach search to include Ewing, who currently serves as an assistant coach with the Orlando Magic.
I don’t care how he got it, Ewing deserves some job interviews. Former Hawks coach Mike Woodson is still considered the front-runner, former Nets headman Lawrence Frank reportedly had a great interview, and Pistons legend Bill Laimbeer is the clear fan favorite.
Having Checketts on board is a smart move for Gores. Checketts has most recently been involved with the St. Louis Blues of the NHL but has a very good sports business background. A new owner in consultants who have had some success in other places — like Golden State did with Jerry West — is a smart play.
- Report: Pacers planning to purchase D-League’s Fort Wayne Mad Ants 1
- Report: Hawks’ Mike Scott told police after arrest all drugs in car were his 16
- NBA lands in Africa trying to put down roots, which is all about youth programs, infrastructure 1
- Report: Kings expected to hire Nancy Lieberman as assistant coach 9
- Report: Hawks’ Mike Scott arrested for felony drug possession 16
- Gilbert Arenas on LeBron James: “James isn’t a #1 option..and yes I (didn’t stutter)” 48
- Report: Veteran point guard Andre Miller reaches one-year deal with Timberwolves 10
- Who is still out there: Top 10 free agents still on the market 14