Jun 27, 2011, 12:19 PM EDT
While it appeared Monta Ellis was being shopped around like a ShamWow in recent weeks, that appeared to be more of a gauging of interest move by the Warriors. They were trying to see what they could get if they decide to move him.
But does Ellis want out of Golden State.
Right now he wants to be a Warrior, but he wants more than just words from new owners Joe Lacob and Peter Guber, according to David Aldridge at NBA.com.
During the hour-long (meeting between Ellis and team management last Thursday) he did make it clear that he didn’t want to be around for the meat of his prime if Golden State’s new ownership group was no more committed to making the roster better than the old regime. He did say that if the team wasn’t doing any better by the trade deadline next February, he’d like to be sent somewhere where he’d have a chance to compete. In the meantime, he’s all in with the Warriors and Mark Jackson, who reportedly has called him twice already to insist he’ll be on the roster next season.
Call it a demand with an asterisk. I still think he’s getting moved after the lockout ends, though, and especially after the Warriors took Washington State’s Klay Thompson in the first round last week…
To the new owners credit, they seem far more committed to winning. They have dumped the old regime — including coach Don Nelson — and seem to be trying hard to change the culture of the franchise. You can question the wisdom of hiring the untested Mark Jackson as coach, but that is another sign they are seriously trying to change things.
Part of that is shaking up the roster, too. And Ellis may well be part of that shakeup, no matter what he wants.
- Celtics deny Nets permission to speak with head coach Doc Rivers 1
- PBT Extra: Talking Heat/Pacers, and why Indy might be optimistic 7
- If Phil Jackson could have any player to start a team it would be… Bill Russell 44
- LeBron, Durant, Kobe headline All NBA First Team 25
- It’s official: Krzyzewski back to coach Team USA through Rio Olympics 1
- Report: Dwight Howard will consider multiple teams in free agency, is said to be most intrigued by the Rockets (122)
- Kobe Bryant responds to Michael Jordan comparison from Phil Jackson (91)
- Alonzo Mourning says Scottie Pippen says LeBron would “kick Jordan’s ass” (77)
- Bradley Beal said he’d lose respect for a teammate who acted like Derrick Rose (70)
- Pacers advance to the Eastern Conference Finals with Game 6 win over Knicks (60)
- Live Extra: Watch coverage of Carb Day at Indy
- PHT: Senators fight for playoff lives in Game 5
- Struggling Blackhawks on brink of elimination
- PHT: Wings push Blackhawks to brink | Highlights
- PHT: Kreider keeps Rangers alive | Highlights
- PHT: Kings defend home ice, up 3-2 | Highlights
- PBT: Hibbert says Battier's knee to groin intentional