Jun 27, 2011, 9:59 PM EDT
You’re not going to have Larry Bird to kick around much longer, Pacers fans.
At least that’s how it sounds in a conversation Bird had with the Boston Globe.
“It’s at a point now in my life where I think it might be time to really reconsider and see how long I want to do this,’’ said Bird, now 54. “They asked me to stay another year through the lockout season, the owner did, for a favor. I was leaving, but he asked me to stay, and I will and I’ll get the job done.
“I just think the franchise is in a good position right now, and I want to leave it in a good position for the next guy to do some good things. Sometimes you just look at it and say, ‘Hey, I’ve done enough. I’ve got it in the position I want to get it in,’ and you move on. I’ve got another year here and I’m going to try to do the best I can to get this team back to winning.’’
The Pacers need some changes for that to happen. They are one of those teams stuck in the NBA’s middle ground — they are not good enough to challenge for a title, not bad enough to get a super high draft pick that can transform the franchise. Bird is trying to make some move with the trade to get George Hill on draft night, but that is not enough.
Bird may not be around for the big changes. He sounds like a guy ready to retire. Although, some franchise would be smart to bring him in as a consultant to the owner. He gets the basketball side of the business. He’d be a great resource.
- Report: Jameer Nelson near $2.7 million deal to join Dallas Mavericks 7
- Report: Mavericks void Rashard Lewis’ contract after it’s discovered he needs knee surgery 8
- Report: Sixers, Nuggets or Celtics could become third team in Kevin Love trade to Cavaliers 39
- Five biggest surprises from Summer League 12
- Justin Bieber and Kevin Durant share brunch (photo) 22
- Clippers CEO: If Sterling remains owner then Doc Rivers, players, sponsors all ready to bolt 60
- Report: Cavaliers trying to acquire other players to put in Kevin Love trade 60
- Report: Bulls making push to trade for Kevin Love 73