Jun 27, 2011, 5:15 PM EST
Jordan Hamilton is a lottery-level athlete who slid all the way down the NBA draft board to No. 26, where Dallas took him, traded him and he is now the property of the Denver Nuggets.
Why did he fall down the board? In part because teams had concerns about his attitude.
Hamilton thinks those concerns came from his coach at Texas Rick Barnes, according to Chris Tomasson on Twitter.
Just talked to Jordan Hamilton. He said believes reason he slipped in draft was because coach Rick Barnes told teams he wasn’t ‘coachable’.
J. Hamilton: “(Barnes) called some teams and said that I probably wasn’t coachable and things like that. But I feel like I can be coachable’
Asked Jordan Hamilton how knows Rick Barnes allegedly called teams and said not coachable. Wouldn’t give names, said “got some feedback.”
Hamilton then went on to say really nice things about Texas.
College coaches walk a line between hyping their players and being honest with NBA teams and scouts (they have to be honest about the problems or nobody believes the hype). But for recruiting purposes, badmouthing is done in private and everything has a positive spin — if you’re a high school player with NBA dreams you want a coach who will help sell teams on you when it’s time. This is pretty much the opposite of that.
How much of a factor Hamilton’s attitude was in his fall versus his questionable college shot selection and his nice but not thrilling workouts we will never know. It was a factor, one of many.
But it’s all moot now, Hamilton is in Denver and George Karl is going to play him or sit him based on performance. It’s tabula rasa. Hamilton is the one filling it in now, not his college coach.
- Report: George Karl controls Kings’ personnel, wants Ty Lawson, willing to move DeMarcus Cousins 23
- Paul George returns to practice with Pacers, could play in couple weeks 7
- Report: LeBron James wonders why he doesn’t get more MVP consideration 38
- Would Rajon Rondo leave the Mavericks for the Lakers? 57
- Five Things We Learned in NBA Wednesday: The Spurs losing rodeo road trip a bad sign 11
- PBT Extra: What is future for Derrick Rose? Bulls? 13
- Mavericks suspend Rajon Rondo one game after argument with coach Rick Carlisle 43
- Derrick Rose is hurt again. Where do the Bulls go from here? 28