Jun 26, 2011, 11:00 AM EDT
One of the big questions after the Kings’ draft-day moves was “Who is going to get the ball to all these guys?” They traded for John Salmons (21% usage) to go with Marcus Thornton (25% usage), and Tyreke Evans (25 percent usage), then drafted Jimmer Fredette, who’s not a playmaker and who’s biggest contribution is scoring and ability to create his own shot. So who’s going to, you know, pass these guys the ball? Or is Sacramento just going to run the Oklahoma City Thunder offense of a zillion ISOs?
Well, according to the New York Daily News, they have a plan for who to get to run the show… except it doesn’t make any sense:
With Jimmer Fredette’s addition to a backcourt featuring Tyreke Evans, Sacramento doesn’t have a playmaker, but the answer might come in free agency, whenever that is. The Kings plan on making a pitch for the Suns’ Aaron Brooks, who is restricted. Phoenix made him a qualifying offer on Thursday.
Can you guess the diminutive point guard’s usage last year? If you guessed 26%, higher than any of the high-usage guards they brought in, you are correct! But wait, it gets better. Brooks’ assist percentage was 28.9%, which is 28th among guards in the league. Now, Brooks’ assist percentage did spike to 35.3% in Phoenix, but since there is an inflation due to Phoenix’s system which propels players’ offensive digits, you have to back off of that somewhat.
Brooks is a shifty player that believes in his own scoring ability and works best as a change-of-pace guard off the bench. In this scenario, due to the Suns’ ability to match any offer for Brooks, the Kings would have to pay through the nose to get a point guard to distribute to the four scoring guards they have on roster (ignoring the fact that in his rookie year when asked to play point guard, Tyreke Evans actually did pretty well), when that player actually tends to shoot more than the others and hasn’t shown a great ability to create shots for others.
Step 3: Profit!
It’s almost hard to see why the players wonder how much of the league’s financial problems are due to teams’ own decision making.
- Bugs Bunny teases the Jordan XXX in interview with Ahmad Rashad (VIDEO) 1
- Report: LeBron James calls the plays, Cavaliers coach David Blatt repeats them to team 48
- Kevin Durant says he’d ‘love to’ stay with Thunder his entire career, wants his jersey retired in OKC 12
- Anthony Davis says James Harden should be MVP 20
- Stop judging J.J. Redick by his Duke days if you haven’t already 7
- Thunder say Kevin Durant underwent successful bone graft surgery, will return in 4-6 months 4
- Five Things We Learned in NBA Monday: DeMar DeRozan went Harden on Harden 12
- Derrick Rose returns to full-contact practice, Bulls return date still unknown 13