Jun 26, 2011, 7:30 PM EDT
This is a pretty stupid thing to have happen. Adrian Dantley was the coach who helped the Nuggets weather the storm when George Karl left for treatment for throat cancer. He’s a Hall of Famer who played 14 years in the NBA. And the Nuggets essentially fired him over a chair.
Dantley confirmed to Chris Tommasson of DenverStiffs.com a New York Post report that his contract would not be renewed. Dantley told the SBNation Denver blog that he was was “fired” because he refused to rotate seats on the bench. Other assistants who sit in the second row wanted to rotate to the front seats including one held by Dantley, and he refused. So now the Nuggets lost an extremely capable assistant head coach.
That’s pretty ridiculous.
While it’s true that if asked, Dantley should have conceded because George Karl is his boss and you can’t undermine your boss, part of the process of management is handling conflicts like this. Add a few more seats. Throw off a Gatorade jug. Something. But there’s no reason this should have come to this point.
But the result is the same. Dantley should get picked up somewhere else this offseason. Hopefully they have enough seats.
- Report: Hawks’ Mike Scott arrested for felony drug possession 0
- Gilbert Arenas on LeBron James: “James isn’t a #1 option..and yes I (didn’t stutter)” 30
- Report: Veteran point guard Andre Miller reaches one-year deal with Timberwolves 8
- Who is still out there: Top 10 free agents still on the market 14
- Donald Trump says he’s becoming a Mavericks fan after Mark Cuban’s comments 47
- Report: Michael Jordan shot down Boston draft-day effort to get Charlotte No. 9 pick 31
- Wisconsin State Assembly passes Bucks arena deal, clearing the way for Gov. Walker to sign 40
- Phil Jackson says Knicks wanted Goran Dragic at trade deadline. Because he’s such a triangle fit? 16