Jun 26, 2011, 7:30 PM EDT
This is a pretty stupid thing to have happen. Adrian Dantley was the coach who helped the Nuggets weather the storm when George Karl left for treatment for throat cancer. He’s a Hall of Famer who played 14 years in the NBA. And the Nuggets essentially fired him over a chair.
Dantley confirmed to Chris Tommasson of DenverStiffs.com a New York Post report that his contract would not be renewed. Dantley told the SBNation Denver blog that he was was “fired” because he refused to rotate seats on the bench. Other assistants who sit in the second row wanted to rotate to the front seats including one held by Dantley, and he refused. So now the Nuggets lost an extremely capable assistant head coach.
That’s pretty ridiculous.
While it’s true that if asked, Dantley should have conceded because George Karl is his boss and you can’t undermine your boss, part of the process of management is handling conflicts like this. Add a few more seats. Throw off a Gatorade jug. Something. But there’s no reason this should have come to this point.
But the result is the same. Dantley should get picked up somewhere else this offseason. Hopefully they have enough seats.
- Report: Bulls making push to trade for Kevin Love 22
- Seven standout players from Las Vegas Summer League 9
- Maverick Carter: LeBron James and Dwyane Wade still speak nearly daily 27
- Red hot Ray McCallum leads Sacramento Kings to Summer League title with 77-68 win against Houston 3
- Lakers great Michael Cooper diagnosed with cancer 15
- Report: Stan Van Gundy tells Josh Smith, barring unexpected trade, forward will start season with Pistons 8
- Mike Krzyzewski would trade Andrew Wiggins for Kevin Love with “not one second of hesitancy” 71
- Mario Chalmers: “I never thought anybody would want to leave Miami for Cleveland” 68