Jun 25, 2011, 7:30 PM EDT
With Leandro Barbosa facing an option for the 2011-2012 season, there was talk the Brazilian speedster might head back home in the event of a lockout, calling it quits in the NBA with his quickness fading due to wear and tear. Turns out that’s not the case, as the London Free Press reports:
Toronto Raptors general manager Bryan Colangelo told QMI Agency Saturday afternoon that Barbosa has picked up his $7.6 million U.S. player option for the 2011-2012 season. Barbosa beat a midnight deadline to make a call.
Even with a significant threat of lockout, it appears that the money is too important. Not a bad plan. Barbosa can continue to heal from injuries which bothered him last season during the lockout, and resume getting paid the $7.6 million he’s due by activating the option. With the Raptors drafting Jonas Valanciunas who won’t be joining us until 2012, the roster will likely be much the same as it was last season, so when play does resume, Barbosa will still be scrapping for minutes alongside Jose Calderon, Jerryd Bayless, Sonny Weems and the occassional DeMar DeRozan stint at shooting guard. Still, better for us to get to see the blur for a few more games. On an expiring contract, he’ll also make a nice trade asset for Colangelo if he can skewer him in one.
- PBT Extra: Previewing Heat/Spurs NBA Finals Game 7 3
- Utah Jazz bring back Jerry Sloan as team consultant 4
- Celtics, Clippers restart Doc Rivers-Kevin Garnett trades talks at Chris Paul’s wish 9
- Chris Bosh to fans who left Game 6 early: ‘Don’t come back for Game 7′ 37
- Wade says left knee sore, swollen, but will play through it 16
- NBA Finals Game 6: Heat comeback in fourth, win in overtime to force Game 7 (125)
- If Spurs win, it is LeBron’s legacy that will take biggest hit (85)
- Lakers unlikely to sign and trade Dwight Howard to the Clippers, Rockets, or anyone else (81)
- Chris Bosh blocks Spurs’ Game 6 comeback attempt (video) (79)
- Heat’s Big Three dominate Game 4 to even the Finals at two games apiece (74)
- Blackhawks win OT thriller
- PFT: Report: Hernandez accused of prior shooting
- CSN: Report: Hernandez 'not ruled out' as suspect
- PBT: Celts, Clips restart Doc, KG trade talks
- Posnanski: How Heat won a game of mistakes
- GTC: Tiger pulls out of AT&T citing elbow issue
- HBT: Biogenesis suspensions still likely coming
- Play Video: Bosh: 'We'll see who hits first'
- Play Video: Clippers, Celtics discussions 'can't be wrong'
- Play Video: Elliot looks ahead to Game 6
- Play Video: The Hype: How much would you pay to punch someone?
- Play Video: If Heat lose, 'all hell will break loose'
- Play Video: Green breaks NBA finals 3-point record