Jun 24, 2011, 12:41 PM EST
This year’s NBA draft was a trade-a-palooza of fun. We were entertained.
But this wasn’t a great draft talent wise. It was a down year. No franchise cornerstone guys, and a lot of guys with high ceilings but serious questions about if they can ever get there.
Next year on the other hand…
The 2012 draft should be LOADED. That is the year your team can change its fortunes, and not just with the top overall pick. Guys from this year’s lottery stuck around and there is a whole new crop of deeper talent.
With a potential NBA lockout and other factors in play, an unusually high number of prominent college players passed on their opportunity to jump to the NBA. (North Carolina’s Harrison) Barnes might be the top pick in the (2012) draft, and he could be followed closely by Baylor’s Perry Jones, Ohio State’s Jared Sullinger, Kentucky’s Terrence Jones, Florida’s Patric Young, North Carolina’s John Henson, Kansas’ Thomas Robinson, Duke’s Mason Plumlee and UNC’s Tyler Zeller….
In 2012 we’re projecting nine freshmen as potential lottery picks: (Kentucky’s potential No. 1 overall Anthony) Davis, Kentucky’s Michael Gilchrist, Baylor’s Quincy Miller, Florida’s Bradley Beal, North Carolina’s James McAdoo, Duke’s Austin Rivers, Kentucky’s Marquis Teague, Texas’ Myck Kabongo and Memphis’ Adonis Thomas. It’s unlikely they all squeeze into the first 14 picks (if they decide to leave school), but the talent is there.
It’s a year of forwards, both small and power. There are a lot more guys next season who can step in and instantly contribute, then down the line really be a key to a franchise.
That’s going to make next year’s draft a lot more fun.
- PBT Extra: How would the NBA benefit from legalized sports betting? 2
- NBPA ready to appeal Jeffery Taylor’s 24-game suspension 7
- Alex Len, No. 5 pick in a draft full of players who looked like busts as rookies, showing he doesn’t deserve the label 4
- PBT’s Wednesday night NBA Winners/Losers: Video of LeBron’s fumble, other tight finishes 14
- LeBron James, with chance to beat Spurs, loses ball to end game (video) 39
- NBA suspends Hornets’ Jeff Taylor for 24 games following guilty plea for domestic violence 7
- PBT Extra: Is Dwight Howard NBA’s newest villain? 31
- Report: Bradley Beal to make season debut Wednesday for Wizards 5