Jun 24, 2011, 10:17 AM EDT
It’s hard to say Golden State made a mistake when they took the best shooter in the draft. Last time I looked in the rulebook, the goal of the game was to put the round leather ball through the round metal rim, so guys who can do that from a long ways away have real value.
But drafting a sharp-shooting two guard after weeks of rumors of fielding trade offers for your existing two guard Monta Ellis makes one think… stop that, it’s not true, said Warriors general manager Larry Riley to ESPN.
“We feel Klay is a player who can play the 3 and 2,” Riley said. “We’re going to have room for a backup 3 and that may be a way for Klay Thompson to get more minutes. This in no way affects our motivation to trade any player.”
(Coach Mark) Jackson also said nothing had changed with his desire to coach Ellis.
“I’m expecting the opportunity to coach this young man,” Jackson said. “In talking to him, he wants to win.”
Okay, if that’s what you guys say. But as it sounds like you did everything short of putting Ellis on QVC when shopping him around. Maybe that was just the “gauging interest” part of the process and nobody wanted to make any real moves until they see the new Collective Bargaining Agreement.
But you don’t mind if we’re all a little skeptical about what you said, do you?
- Three things about Game 2: Tony Parker is that good but Randolph, Grizzlies figuring it out 0
- Spurs need overtime in Game 2 to beat Grizzlies, take a 2-0 series lead 0
- Cavaliers bask in another lottery victory 5
- For second time in three years Cavaliers win NBA draft lottery 33
- PBT Extra: Eastern Conference Finals preview time 3
- Report: Dwight Howard will consider multiple teams in free agency, is said to be most intrigued by the Rockets (121)
- Kobe Bryant responds to Michael Jordan comparison from Phil Jackson (88)
- Alonzo Mourning says Scottie Pippen says LeBron would “kick Jordan’s ass” (75)
- Bradley Beal said he’d lose respect for a teammate who acted like Derrick Rose (67)
- Seattle group releases statement; forced to wait, hope for expansion (64)
- Sharks pull even with Kings
- PBT: Cavs win NBA draft lottery, will pick No. 1
- Spurs survive Grizzlies' late run, win in OT
- PHT: Bruins rally in third, put Rangers in 3-0 hole
- PFT: Jim Harbaugh to drive Indy 500 pace car
- Durant pledges $1 million for tornado victims
- GTC: Garcia offers Tiger 'fried chicken' for dinner
- Play Video: Metta World Peace the weatherman
- Play Video: Eastern Conference finals preview
- Play Video: Heat gearing for another physical battle
- Play Video: Phil Jackson compares MJ and Kobe
- Play Video: Grizzlies ready for 'running' Spurs
- Play Video: Durant won't 'compromise himself' like other stars