Jun 24, 2011, 12:09 PM EDT
We love talking trade rumors as much as anyone. It’s part of the fun of being a sports fan, talking about potential deals.
And rumors were flying about like cabs in New York City leading up to the NBA Draft Thursday. Andre Iguodala to either team in Los Angeles. Lamar Odom to Minnesota or Philadelphia (wouldn’t you pay to see Khloe Kardashian in Minnesota?). Monta Ellis to 29 teams, plus maybe to North Carolina for Harrison Barnes. And that was just the tip of the iceberg.
But we should do a little truth in advertising here, the reality is very few of these trades leaked get anywhere near becoming reality. We will let Lakers general manager Mitch Kupchak (whose team was at the heart of a lot of rumors) explain, via the Los Angeles Times.
“A lot of the stuff you read the last three or four days was agent-driven,” said Kupchak.
“A lot of times agents these days think the way to consummate a trade is to suggest publicly ideas that they come up with and I think that’s part of the problem, as well.”
Andre Iguodala’s agent is Rob Pelinka. He is also the agent for Derrick Williams, the No. 2 pick who was rumored to be shopped by the T-Wolves to every team in the league. He is Chris Kaman’s agent. (He has a long list of clients including Kobe Bryant, Carlos Boozer and James Harden among others.)
I don’t know where a lot of these pre-draft trade rumors started, certainly not all of them from agents as teams will throw out a thick cloud of smoke screens around the draft to hide their true intentions.
We’re not going to stop talking rumors here, we just want an educated readership on the topic. Know that often these are the wishes and dreams of agents far more than they are reality, things teams discuss seriously. Have fun, but don’t think that Odom for Iguodala was actually anywhere near happening.
- Will Miami make a run at Kevin Durant? 14
- Report: Veteran forward Chuck Hayes agrees to deal with Clippers 6
- Report: Lakers to sign Brazilian, FC Barcelona point guard Marcelo Huertas to one-year deal 10
- Shaq to Kobe on podcast: “I just want people to know that I don’t hate you” 18
- D’Angelo Russell on Tracy McGrady tweet: “Some Lakers fans are spoiled” 27
- Anthony Davis “definitely” plans on shooting more threes this season 4
- Jim Buss defends Byron Scott as Lakers coach, “He has the Laker blood in him” 24
- Jim Buss open to the idea of Kobe Bryant playing beyond this season 32