Patrick Ewing to interview for Pistons head coaching job

Jun 24, 2011, 3:19 PM EDT

Orlando Magic v San Antonio Spurs Getty Images

Up until now, Kim Hughes — the interim coach with the Los Angeles Clippers before Vinny Del Negro was hired — was the tallest NBA coach I remember seeing. A former NBA player, he is a legit 6’10’.

But if the Detroit Pistons hire Orlando assistant Patrick Ewing, all bets are off.

And Ewing will have an interview with the Pistons, according to NBA.com’s David Aldridge.

Ewing, 49, has long desired to be a head coach, and has decried what he viewed as pigeonholing him as a “big man” assistant, a role he has undertaken while an assistant coach in Houston with Yao Ming and in Orlando with Dwight Howard. Ewing has said that he does a lot more than just work with bigs and is ready to run a team. He badly wanted to get a shot with the Knicks, the team for whom he became a superstar after being taken first overall in the 1985 Draft.

“It’s disappointing that I haven’t moved to the next step to getting a head coaching job, but all I can do is keep working hard and keep on preparing myself for whenever that opportunity arises,” Ewing told the New York Daily News earlier this month. ”A lot of people try to pigeonhole me into just a big man’s coach and I’m just not a big man’s coach. I’m a coach.”

Former Hawks coach Mike Woodson has generally been considered the frontrunner, but there were reports former Nets head man (and current Celtics assistant) Lawrence Frank had a great interview. Pistons fans overwhelmingly want Bill Laimbeer to get the job. Kelvin Sampson also has interviewed.

1. themanchine - Jun 24, 2011 at 3:39 PM

Paul Silas would like to have a word with you…

• themanchine - Jun 24, 2011 at 3:41 PM

nvmnd, I could’ve sworn he was taller than 6’7..my bad

2. garryfish - Jun 24, 2011 at 4:22 PM

there will be a revolt in Detroit if the Pistons pick Ewing over Laimbeer

3. royalsfaninfargo - Jun 24, 2011 at 4:30 PM

At least Ewing has been an assistant coach in the league unlike a certain former Knick point guard that just got a job.

4. goforthanddie - Jun 24, 2011 at 4:48 PM

You’d think Laimbeer would be perfect. And maybe Ewing would have better luck if he quit bitching that nobody will hire him.

5. ygkr85 - Jun 24, 2011 at 5:19 PM

Patrick has not been treated right by the NY Knicks. Yes, he is my childhood legend and I am biases– I rocked the white and blue high-top #33s. No, he does not have a ring…but I wish we brought the man home to NYC.

Tell my why Herb Williams can be a lifetime assistant but Ewing wasn’t given a position? Why does Allan Houston get the front office love over the big man?

• damp1015 - Jun 26, 2011 at 2:48 AM

Exactly. Ewing is also my childhood legend, I wish him the best. The Knicks need to do right!

6. jolink653 - Jun 25, 2011 at 7:33 PM

good for him patrick ewing has waited a long time for his shot as an nba head coach and it’s about time he got one…as a knicks fan i hope he gets this job or another head coaching job soon

What are impacts of NBA's new TV deal?
Top 10 NBA Player Searches