Jun 24, 2011, 3:19 PM EST
Up until now, Kim Hughes — the interim coach with the Los Angeles Clippers before Vinny Del Negro was hired — was the tallest NBA coach I remember seeing. A former NBA player, he is a legit 6’10’.
But if the Detroit Pistons hire Orlando assistant Patrick Ewing, all bets are off.
And Ewing will have an interview with the Pistons, according to NBA.com’s David Aldridge.
Ewing, 49, has long desired to be a head coach, and has decried what he viewed as pigeonholing him as a “big man” assistant, a role he has undertaken while an assistant coach in Houston with Yao Ming and in Orlando with Dwight Howard. Ewing has said that he does a lot more than just work with bigs and is ready to run a team. He badly wanted to get a shot with the Knicks, the team for whom he became a superstar after being taken first overall in the 1985 Draft.
“It’s disappointing that I haven’t moved to the next step to getting a head coaching job, but all I can do is keep working hard and keep on preparing myself for whenever that opportunity arises,” Ewing told the New York Daily News earlier this month. ”A lot of people try to pigeonhole me into just a big man’s coach and I’m just not a big man’s coach. I’m a coach.”
Former Hawks coach Mike Woodson has generally been considered the frontrunner, but there were reports former Nets head man (and current Celtics assistant) Lawrence Frank had a great interview. Pistons fans overwhelmingly want Bill Laimbeer to get the job. Kelvin Sampson also has interviewed.
- Russell Westbrook posts third straight triple-double, Thunder lose anyway 0
- Shane Battier: ‘I think a 60-game season would be perfect’ 12
- Kyrie Irving has strained left shoulder, out Friday vs. Pacers 0
- Derrick Rose expected to return in 4-6 weeks. In time for playoffs. 20
- Five Things We Learned in NBA Thursday: The Cavaliers we expected have arrived 17
- Report: George Karl controls Kings’ personnel, wants Ty Lawson, willing to move DeMarcus Cousins 29
- Paul George returns to practice with Pacers, could play in couple weeks 8
- Report: LeBron James wonders why he doesn’t get more MVP consideration 41