Jun 24, 2011, 3:19 PM EDT
Up until now, Kim Hughes — the interim coach with the Los Angeles Clippers before Vinny Del Negro was hired — was the tallest NBA coach I remember seeing. A former NBA player, he is a legit 6’10’.
But if the Detroit Pistons hire Orlando assistant Patrick Ewing, all bets are off.
And Ewing will have an interview with the Pistons, according to NBA.com’s David Aldridge.
Ewing, 49, has long desired to be a head coach, and has decried what he viewed as pigeonholing him as a “big man” assistant, a role he has undertaken while an assistant coach in Houston with Yao Ming and in Orlando with Dwight Howard. Ewing has said that he does a lot more than just work with bigs and is ready to run a team. He badly wanted to get a shot with the Knicks, the team for whom he became a superstar after being taken first overall in the 1985 Draft.
“It’s disappointing that I haven’t moved to the next step to getting a head coaching job, but all I can do is keep working hard and keep on preparing myself for whenever that opportunity arises,” Ewing told the New York Daily News earlier this month. ”A lot of people try to pigeonhole me into just a big man’s coach and I’m just not a big man’s coach. I’m a coach.”
Former Hawks coach Mike Woodson has generally been considered the frontrunner, but there were reports former Nets head man (and current Celtics assistant) Lawrence Frank had a great interview. Pistons fans overwhelmingly want Bill Laimbeer to get the job. Kelvin Sampson also has interviewed.
- Markieff Morris: “My future will not be in Phoenix” 13
- Shaq tells Suzy Shuster he, Kobe Bryant could have tied Jordan’s six titles 32
- Dwight Howard tried to take loaded gun through airport security, will not face charges 49
- Will Miami make a run at Kevin Durant? 17
- Report: Veteran forward Chuck Hayes agrees to deal with Clippers 7
- Report: Lakers to sign Brazilian, FC Barcelona point guard Marcelo Huertas to one-year deal 10
- Shaq to Kobe on podcast: “I just want people to know that I don’t hate you” 18
- D’Angelo Russell on Tracy McGrady tweet: “Some Lakers fans are spoiled” 28