Jun 24, 2011, 3:19 PM EDT
Up until now, Kim Hughes — the interim coach with the Los Angeles Clippers before Vinny Del Negro was hired — was the tallest NBA coach I remember seeing. A former NBA player, he is a legit 6’10’.
But if the Detroit Pistons hire Orlando assistant Patrick Ewing, all bets are off.
And Ewing will have an interview with the Pistons, according to NBA.com’s David Aldridge.
Ewing, 49, has long desired to be a head coach, and has decried what he viewed as pigeonholing him as a “big man” assistant, a role he has undertaken while an assistant coach in Houston with Yao Ming and in Orlando with Dwight Howard. Ewing has said that he does a lot more than just work with bigs and is ready to run a team. He badly wanted to get a shot with the Knicks, the team for whom he became a superstar after being taken first overall in the 1985 Draft.
“It’s disappointing that I haven’t moved to the next step to getting a head coaching job, but all I can do is keep working hard and keep on preparing myself for whenever that opportunity arises,” Ewing told the New York Daily News earlier this month. ”A lot of people try to pigeonhole me into just a big man’s coach and I’m just not a big man’s coach. I’m a coach.”
Former Hawks coach Mike Woodson has generally been considered the frontrunner, but there were reports former Nets head man (and current Celtics assistant) Lawrence Frank had a great interview. Pistons fans overwhelmingly want Bill Laimbeer to get the job. Kelvin Sampson also has interviewed.
- Report: Derrick Rose undecided about attending Team USA minicamp 6
- Report: Pacers planning to purchase D-League’s Fort Wayne Mad Ants 2
- Report: Hawks’ Mike Scott told police after arrest all drugs in car were his 17
- NBA lands in Africa trying to put down roots, which is all about youth programs, infrastructure 1
- Report: Kings expected to hire Nancy Lieberman as assistant coach 9
- Report: Hawks’ Mike Scott arrested for felony drug possession 16
- Gilbert Arenas on LeBron James: “James isn’t a #1 option..and yes I (didn’t stutter)” 48
- Report: Veteran point guard Andre Miller reaches one-year deal with Timberwolves 10