Jun 24, 2011, 5:59 PM EDT
Our own Ira Winderman has the report:
Miami Heat forward Mike Miller is recovering from surgery for a ruptured tendon in his left thumb.
Miller was injured during the latter stages of the regular season, finishing the postseason in protective bracing on his non-shooting hand.
Miller sustained a similar injury to his right thumb during the preseason, with the ensuing surgery sidelining him for two months and limiting his effectiveness for the balance of the season.
Limited in his ability to handle the ball, Miller is coming off an uneven postseason. The 3-point specialist is one of eight players under contract to the Heat for next season.
Thumb and head injuries essentially ruined Miller’s 2010-11 season. Miller only appeared in half of Miami’s games, averaged a career-low 5.6 points per game, shot a career-low 40.1% from the field and 67.6% from the free-throw line, and averaged a career-low 1.2 assists per game. When Miller is healthy and playing with confidence, he’s a lights-out shooter who can also rebound, put the ball on the floor and pass, and finishes surprisingly well at the rim.
Miller was able to give Miami some much-needed help in the Eastern Conference Finals against Chicago – the Heat have to be hoping he’ll be completely healthy for all of next season, because he can add another dimension to their offense when he’s on his game.
- Bucks stay alive behind big backcourt performance to force Game 6 vs. Bulls 0
- Incredible 35-point performance from Deron Williams leads Nets to overtime Game 4 win over Hawks 8
- PBT Extra with NBASavant.com: Wizard’s defense peaking at right time 2
- Report: Chandler Parsons to have knee surgery, could require microfracture surgery 5
- Cavaliers’ J.R. Smith gets two-game suspension for shot to Jae Crowder’s head 35
- PBT Extra with NBASavant.com: Draymond Green helped hold Anthony Davis in relative check 4
- Cavaliers’ Kevin Love out for entire conference semifinals (likely vs. Bulls) 14
- PBT Extra with NBASavant.com: LeBron got his shots despite good Celtics defense 3