Jun 24, 2011, 5:59 PM EDT
Our own Ira Winderman has the report:
Miami Heat forward Mike Miller is recovering from surgery for a ruptured tendon in his left thumb.
Miller was injured during the latter stages of the regular season, finishing the postseason in protective bracing on his non-shooting hand.
Miller sustained a similar injury to his right thumb during the preseason, with the ensuing surgery sidelining him for two months and limiting his effectiveness for the balance of the season.
Limited in his ability to handle the ball, Miller is coming off an uneven postseason. The 3-point specialist is one of eight players under contract to the Heat for next season.
Thumb and head injuries essentially ruined Miller’s 2010-11 season. Miller only appeared in half of Miami’s games, averaged a career-low 5.6 points per game, shot a career-low 40.1% from the field and 67.6% from the free-throw line, and averaged a career-low 1.2 assists per game. When Miller is healthy and playing with confidence, he’s a lights-out shooter who can also rebound, put the ball on the floor and pass, and finishes surprisingly well at the rim.
Miller was able to give Miami some much-needed help in the Eastern Conference Finals against Chicago – the Heat have to be hoping he’ll be completely healthy for all of next season, because he can add another dimension to their offense when he’s on his game.
- LeBron scores 36, Cavaliers bounce back to get overtime win over Bulls 9
- Ricky Rubio agrees to 4-year, $55 million contract extension with Timberwolves 12
- Report: Warriors agree to four-year, $70 million extension with Klay Thompson 14
- Can Thunder, without Kevin Durant and Russell Westbrook, overcome their first identity crisis? 13
- Jazz guard Alec Burks signs contract extension worth $42 million-$45 million 13
- Thursday night NBA Winners/Losers: The injury gods show Thunder no mercy 12
- No Durant, Westbrook goes down, Thunder still make it interesting but fall to Clippers 2
- Thunder’s Russell Westbrook fractures hand, likely out 4-6 weeks 10