Jun 23, 2011, 3:09 PM EDT
Yahoo! Sports’ Adrian Wojnarowski with an interesting draft rumor:
Cleveland’s trying to get a 3rd first round pick — in the 20′s — dangling its two second rounders (32 and 54) and maybe cash, sources say.
There had been rumors that the Cavs had been trying get a 3rd 1st round pick by trading down with their #4 pick, but now it looks like they’re trying to trade up. For a team in full rebuild mode, as Cleveland clearly is, more first-round picks is probably never a bad thing. The #32 and #54 picks may not look that attractive, but trading a late first-rounder for two second-round picks would prevent a team from having to hand out a guaranteed contract on the rookie scale.
Billionaire Cavaliers owner has never been shy about spending whatever it takes on his team, but there may be owners who feel that a late-20s pick in this draft simply isn’t worth the guaranteed money.
- Extra Pass: Beyond Phil Jackson, Knicks should see Tim Hardaway as instrumental to their future 0
- Wednesday NBA grades: Brooklyn is all about The Truth 2
- Truth too much for Heat, Brooklyn knocks off Miami 17
- PBT Extra: Talking Andrew Bynum’s arrival, Trail Blazers’ stumble 1
- Report: Kobe Bryant has “no interest” in playing for Mike D’Antoni next season 45