Jun 23, 2011, 3:09 PM EST
Yahoo! Sports’ Adrian Wojnarowski with an interesting draft rumor:
Cleveland’s trying to get a 3rd first round pick — in the 20’s — dangling its two second rounders (32 and 54) and maybe cash, sources say.
There had been rumors that the Cavs had been trying get a 3rd 1st round pick by trading down with their #4 pick, but now it looks like they’re trying to trade up. For a team in full rebuild mode, as Cleveland clearly is, more first-round picks is probably never a bad thing. The #32 and #54 picks may not look that attractive, but trading a late first-rounder for two second-round picks would prevent a team from having to hand out a guaranteed contract on the rookie scale.
Billionaire Cavaliers owner has never been shy about spending whatever it takes on his team, but there may be owners who feel that a late-20s pick in this draft simply isn’t worth the guaranteed money.
- Report: George Karl controls Kings’ personnel, wants Ty Lawson, willing to move DeMarcus Cousins 23
- Paul George returns to practice with Pacers, could play in couple weeks 7
- Report: LeBron James wonders why he doesn’t get more MVP consideration 38
- Would Rajon Rondo leave the Mavericks for the Lakers? 57
- Five Things We Learned in NBA Wednesday: The Spurs losing rodeo road trip a bad sign 11
- PBT Extra: What is future for Derrick Rose? Bulls? 13
- Mavericks suspend Rajon Rondo one game after argument with coach Rick Carlisle 43
- Derrick Rose is hurt again. Where do the Bulls go from here? 28