Jun 23, 2011, 3:09 PM EST
Yahoo! Sports’ Adrian Wojnarowski with an interesting draft rumor:
Cleveland’s trying to get a 3rd first round pick — in the 20’s — dangling its two second rounders (32 and 54) and maybe cash, sources say.
There had been rumors that the Cavs had been trying get a 3rd 1st round pick by trading down with their #4 pick, but now it looks like they’re trying to trade up. For a team in full rebuild mode, as Cleveland clearly is, more first-round picks is probably never a bad thing. The #32 and #54 picks may not look that attractive, but trading a late first-rounder for two second-round picks would prevent a team from having to hand out a guaranteed contract on the rookie scale.
Billionaire Cavaliers owner has never been shy about spending whatever it takes on his team, but there may be owners who feel that a late-20s pick in this draft simply isn’t worth the guaranteed money.
- Derrick Rose leaves Bulls-Nuggets game with hamstring tightness 22
- Kobe Bryant: “We’re not a 3-11 team. We’re not.” 18
- Tom Thibodeau is getting tired of answering Derrick Rose questions 15
- Veteran NBA coach: ‘I think (Cavaliers head coach David Blatt) is struggling a bit’ 28
- PBT’s Monday night NBA Winners/Losers: That looks more like the Cavaliers we expected 12
- Carmelo Anthony exits Knicks-Rockets game with apparent back injury 9
- Russell Westbrook and Kevin Durant progressing in rehab, Westbrook could play Friday 6
- Lakers forward Xavier Henry ruptured Achilles in practice, out for season 23