Jun 23, 2011, 3:09 PM EDT
Yahoo! Sports’ Adrian Wojnarowski with an interesting draft rumor:
Cleveland’s trying to get a 3rd first round pick — in the 20’s — dangling its two second rounders (32 and 54) and maybe cash, sources say.
There had been rumors that the Cavs had been trying get a 3rd 1st round pick by trading down with their #4 pick, but now it looks like they’re trying to trade up. For a team in full rebuild mode, as Cleveland clearly is, more first-round picks is probably never a bad thing. The #32 and #54 picks may not look that attractive, but trading a late first-rounder for two second-round picks would prevent a team from having to hand out a guaranteed contract on the rookie scale.
Billionaire Cavaliers owner has never been shy about spending whatever it takes on his team, but there may be owners who feel that a late-20s pick in this draft simply isn’t worth the guaranteed money.
- Anthony Davis “definitely” plans on shooting more threes this season 4
- Jim Buss defends Byron Scott as Lakers coach, “He has the Laker blood in him” 22
- Jim Buss open to the idea of Kobe Bryant playing beyond this season 30
- Derrick Rose on sexual assault suit: “I am confident I will be proven innocent” 4
- Report: Kyrie Irving likely not back opening night, could be out until January 14
- Legendary Sixer, backboard-shattering dunker Darryl Dawkins dies at 58 14
- After Rio Olympics next summer, who takes over at Team USA coach? 8
- Kobe, Shaq discuss regrets over feud that ended their Lakers era 49