Jun 23, 2011, 1:07 PM EDT
For all the chatter otherwise, it would be stunning not to see Kyrie Irving not go No. 1 and Derrick Williams No. 2. We may well have stunning, it’s been that kind of NBA season, but you might not want to bet on it.
As we said before, the draft gets interesting when the Jazz select at No. 3. But it looks more and more like they will take Enes Kanter, the Turkish center. Do the Jazz need a point guard more? Damn straight. Is Kentucky’s Brandon Knight still on the board? Yup. But the Jazz stick to their “best man available” system no matter what, and reportedly they like Kanter more.
That shakes up the draft, because it means hard choices for the teams that follow.
For the Cavaliers at No. 4 that would leave them with a choice between Texas’ Tristan Thompson and Lithuanian center Jonas Valanciunas. Valanciunas has the higher ceiling — some scouts think he can be the best player in this draft — but he may play in Europe for a couple more years. Thompson is the better player right now and fills a need. But ESPN’s Ric Bucher says the Cavs go Valanciunas.
Then at five is the Raptors. They really like Brandon Knight at the point, but Chad Ford of ESPN says they would take Bismack Biyombo, the wildly athletic but raw center out of the Congo (via Europe) over Knight. Hard choice, though.
At No. 6 you can bet the Wizards are not taking a point guard — they took some guy named Wall last year — so they will take Thompson or Jan Vesley.
Then at seven the Kings are faced with a real hard choice — Knight or Jimmer Fredette? The clear consensus is Knight is now and will be the better player, but the Maloof Brothers have been reported to push to get Fredette. Owners tend to get their way. Or, maybe the Kings just trade out of the spot so the Knicks can get Klay Thompson.
The choices keep on going… what will the Jazz do at No. 12 if they can choose between Kemba Walker or Fredette? It his hard to see the Jazz not taking Jimmer, even if the basketball people like Walker (or anyone else) more.
It’s been a long time since we had a draft that was going to be this unpredictable. This is going to be fun to watch unfold.
- Elimination game Josh Smith is a thing, Rockets live to play another day 5
- Rockets show it’s better to have James Harden than to not have Stephen Curry 6
- Stephen Curry leaves game after taking a hard fall, cleared to return (VIDEO) 10
- Rumor: Paul Pierce might opt out of contract with Wizards, join Clippers 18
- Golden State Warriors vs. Houston Rockets Game 4: Three things to watch from Houston 9
- LeBron James posts triple-double, Al Horford ejected as Cavaliers take 3-0 series lead with OT Game 3 win over Hawks 30
- Kyrie Irving out for Game 3 for Cavaliers with knee tendonitis 3
- Lil B says James Harden is officially under the Based God’s curse 31