Jun 23, 2011, 2:14 AM EST
How serious those talks are is the question.
In the case of a Hoopsworld report, things got very close with the Portland Trail Blazers.
The San Antonio Spurs and Portland Trail Blazers nearly completed a blockbuster trade on Wednesday afternoon, but the deal fell apart in the late stages. San Antonio was prepared to ship Tony Parker and the #29 pick to Portland in exchange for Andre Miller, Nicolas Batum and the #21 pick, but the trade died when the Spurs insisted that Richard Jefferson somehow be included in the deal. Other players would have been included in the trade to make salaries work. Talks have quieted for now, but they could pick back up tomorrow if one of the teams has a change of heart.
While Hoopsworld says these talks are serious, other reports have the Spurs much more in the “gauging interest” phase.
Richard Jefferson is a key to a lot of the Parker trade discussions. Clearly the Spurs want to be rid of his contract ($30 million for three more seasons), but a lot of teams are balking at taking on that kind of contract heading into an unknown new Collective Bargaining Agreement. The Spurs are seeing if anyone wants Parker badly enough to take Jefferson, too.
Parker and Jefferson are still rumored to be part of a deal for the No. 7 pick with Sacramento. Before that there was a Toronto rumor. In the hours running up to the draft expect more rumors. The Spurs can afford to shop Parker around because they have George Hill, who can very capably take over duties at the point for the Spurs. Of course, there are rumors the Spurs are shopping Hill, too…
- Carmelo Anthony introduces his latest signature shoe, the Jordan Melo M11 2
- Report: Rondo “open” to re-signing in Dallas, Houston if traded there 9
- PBT’s Wednesday Night NBA Winners/Losers: You will not question if Memphis is legit again 11
- Grizzlies top Spurs in triple overtime. Best game of the season. So far. 4
- Report: Mavericks and Celtics in ‘substantive discussion’ about Rajon Rondo trade 23
- Report: Celtics now more willing to trade Rajon Rondo 13
- Tyson Chandler says he feels sorry for Carmelo Anthony 19
- Kevin Durant on idea stars wouldn’t want to play with Kobe Bryant: ‘That’s bulls—‘ 49