Jun 23, 2011, 2:14 AM EDT
How serious those talks are is the question.
In the case of a Hoopsworld report, things got very close with the Portland Trail Blazers.
The San Antonio Spurs and Portland Trail Blazers nearly completed a blockbuster trade on Wednesday afternoon, but the deal fell apart in the late stages. San Antonio was prepared to ship Tony Parker and the #29 pick to Portland in exchange for Andre Miller, Nicolas Batum and the #21 pick, but the trade died when the Spurs insisted that Richard Jefferson somehow be included in the deal. Other players would have been included in the trade to make salaries work. Talks have quieted for now, but they could pick back up tomorrow if one of the teams has a change of heart.
While Hoopsworld says these talks are serious, other reports have the Spurs much more in the “gauging interest” phase.
Richard Jefferson is a key to a lot of the Parker trade discussions. Clearly the Spurs want to be rid of his contract ($30 million for three more seasons), but a lot of teams are balking at taking on that kind of contract heading into an unknown new Collective Bargaining Agreement. The Spurs are seeing if anyone wants Parker badly enough to take Jefferson, too.
Parker and Jefferson are still rumored to be part of a deal for the No. 7 pick with Sacramento. Before that there was a Toronto rumor. In the hours running up to the draft expect more rumors. The Spurs can afford to shop Parker around because they have George Hill, who can very capably take over duties at the point for the Spurs. Of course, there are rumors the Spurs are shopping Hill, too…
- Lakers make it official — finally — and hire Byron Scott as head coach 7
- Derrick Rose: “I’ve become a smarter player, but I’m mad it took me seven years to learn it.” 21
- Shelly Sterling beats Donald Sterling in court, clears sale of Clippers to Steve Ballmer 54
- Report: Timberwolves have talked to Sixers about Thaddeus Young as Kevin Love replacement 25
- All eyes on Derrick Rose as USA Basketball mini-camp begins 22
- Klay Thompson doesn’t anticipate being traded, says he expects to play with Warriors next season 8
- PBT Power Rankings: After summer shakeups, Spurs still team to beat 47
- Report: ‘No chance’ Kevin Love stays with Timberwolves 65