Jun 23, 2011, 2:14 AM EDT
How serious those talks are is the question.
In the case of a Hoopsworld report, things got very close with the Portland Trail Blazers.
The San Antonio Spurs and Portland Trail Blazers nearly completed a blockbuster trade on Wednesday afternoon, but the deal fell apart in the late stages. San Antonio was prepared to ship Tony Parker and the #29 pick to Portland in exchange for Andre Miller, Nicolas Batum and the #21 pick, but the trade died when the Spurs insisted that Richard Jefferson somehow be included in the deal. Other players would have been included in the trade to make salaries work. Talks have quieted for now, but they could pick back up tomorrow if one of the teams has a change of heart.
While Hoopsworld says these talks are serious, other reports have the Spurs much more in the “gauging interest” phase.
Richard Jefferson is a key to a lot of the Parker trade discussions. Clearly the Spurs want to be rid of his contract ($30 million for three more seasons), but a lot of teams are balking at taking on that kind of contract heading into an unknown new Collective Bargaining Agreement. The Spurs are seeing if anyone wants Parker badly enough to take Jefferson, too.
Parker and Jefferson are still rumored to be part of a deal for the No. 7 pick with Sacramento. Before that there was a Toronto rumor. In the hours running up to the draft expect more rumors. The Spurs can afford to shop Parker around because they have George Hill, who can very capably take over duties at the point for the Spurs. Of course, there are rumors the Spurs are shopping Hill, too…
- PBT Extra: Talking Heat/Pacers, and why Indy might be optimistic 0
- If Phil Jackson could have any player to start a team it would be… Bill Russell 23
- LeBron, Durant, Kobe headline All NBA First Team 21
- It’s official: Krzyzewski back to coach Team USA through Rio Olympics 1
- Hibbert said he will speak up in future, demand to be in game at end 11
- Report: Dwight Howard will consider multiple teams in free agency, is said to be most intrigued by the Rockets (122)
- Kobe Bryant responds to Michael Jordan comparison from Phil Jackson (89)
- Alonzo Mourning says Scottie Pippen says LeBron would “kick Jordan’s ass” (76)
- Bradley Beal said he’d lose respect for a teammate who acted like Derrick Rose (67)
- Pacers advance to the Eastern Conference Finals with Game 6 win over Knicks (60)
- Watch LIVE: Bruins-Rangers
- WATCH LIVE: Blackhawks look to even series with Red Wings
- PBT: Hibbert says Battier's knee to groin intentional
- OlyTalk: Lochte says Phelps will return soon
- CSN: Francona returns to Boston | Legacy?
- Tebow fact: He reminds Chuck Norris of Chuck Norris
- LeBron stuns Pacers with OT winner in Game 1