Jun 23, 2011, 10:58 PM EST
The fact that the Dallas Mavericks are the reigning world champions apparently doesn’t mean a thing in terms of how they’re approaching next season. This year’s roster was the best in the league, yet on draft night, they’ve already made a deal to try and get better.
Dallas acquired Rudy Fernandez and Petteri Kopenen from Portland in exchange for the 26 and 57 overall picks in Thursday’s draft, according to a report from ESPN.com’s Marc Stein. The 26 pick ended up being Texas standout Jordan Hamilton.
Obviously, young talent is great if you have time to develop it, but not so much when you’re a team pursuing another championship, as Mavericks’ president of basketball operations Donnie Nelson told ESPN.com.
“The balance is a player that’s a young one versus one that’s been around the league for a few years and can help us win right away,” Nelson said of dealing the rights to first-round pick Jordan Hamilton of Texas to Portland for a veteran. “Obviously, we’re in a championship push mode.”
Fernandez can play, but likely needs a change of scenery to truly show what he’s capable of. He had been unhappy with his role in Portland, and even was fined $50,000 by the league before the beginning of last season for his agent’s public request that he be released from his contract. One would think that getting the opportunity to contribute for the defending champs would provide an immediate attitude adjustment.
- Clippers rip officials after being called for seven technical fouls in loss to Nuggets 5
- Jeremy Lin after Kobe misses at the buzzer: ‘I like game-winners too’ 17
- Damian Lillard drops career high 43, leads Blazers to 3OT win over Spurs (VIDEO) 6
- Kendrick Perkins: Rajon Rondo wanted out of Boston 7
- Report: Minnesota agrees to trade Corey Brewer to Houston 6
- Dallas moves into title contender status with addition of Rajon Rondo 42
- Kevin Durant turns ankle, leaves game not to return; X-rays negative. 4
- Report: Celtics ‘pretty pleased’ with return they got in trade for Rajon Rondo 31