Jun 23, 2011, 10:58 PM EDT
The fact that the Dallas Mavericks are the reigning world champions apparently doesn’t mean a thing in terms of how they’re approaching next season. This year’s roster was the best in the league, yet on draft night, they’ve already made a deal to try and get better.
Dallas acquired Rudy Fernandez and Petteri Kopenen from Portland in exchange for the 26 and 57 overall picks in Thursday’s draft, according to a report from ESPN.com’s Marc Stein. The 26 pick ended up being Texas standout Jordan Hamilton.
Obviously, young talent is great if you have time to develop it, but not so much when you’re a team pursuing another championship, as Mavericks’ president of basketball operations Donnie Nelson told ESPN.com.
“The balance is a player that’s a young one versus one that’s been around the league for a few years and can help us win right away,” Nelson said of dealing the rights to first-round pick Jordan Hamilton of Texas to Portland for a veteran. “Obviously, we’re in a championship push mode.”
Fernandez can play, but likely needs a change of scenery to truly show what he’s capable of. He had been unhappy with his role in Portland, and even was fined $50,000 by the league before the beginning of last season for his agent’s public request that he be released from his contract. One would think that getting the opportunity to contribute for the defending champs would provide an immediate attitude adjustment.
- Bulls owner issues statement refuting rift between Bulls front office, Derrick Rose 4
- If traded before World Cup starts could Kevin Love still play for USA? Colangelo said it’s possible. 2
- Anthony Davis steps into spotlight, is Team USA’s lynchpin 17
- Referee Violet Palmer comes out publicly as gay 45
- Report: Cavaliers last team standing in Kevin Love trade talks 89
- Pat Riley says he didn’t think LeBron was leaving, Heat can turn around quickly 61
- Coach K on Rose: “Derrick’s played great, not good, and hasn’t held anything back” 30
- Report: Anthony Bennett pulled from pro-am by agent, possibly due to his inclusion in Kevin Love trade talks 43