Jun 23, 2011, 2:33 PM EST
Reggie Jackson is a guy a lot of scouts want their team to take a risk on. The Boston College point guard very quick and that comes in handy in an era when you can’t touch guards on the perimeter. He’s a great athlete with a ridiculous seven-foot wingspan. He needs to develop a consistent shot, but teams think there is a real player in there.
Then he mysteriously shut down all his workouts. He had a minor knee operation before the combine but in recent weeks he wouldn’t even do interviews with teams.
Some team clearly made him a promise. But who?
How about the Oklahoma City Thunder? That is what Sam Amick is reporting at Sports Illustrated.
Numerous executives are speculating that the Thunder (No. 24 pick) have given a promise to Boston College’s Reggie Jackson, whose camp has refused all workouts and made it known that the point guard already has an NBA home somewhere. The logic leading them there relates to Oklahoma City’s bigger picture. It’s believed that the Thunder are preparing for life without backup point guard Eric Maynor because of the finances in play.
Franchise centerpiece Kevin Durant received his maximum contract extension last summer, and running mate Russell Westbrook is expected to land the next big payday. Maynor, meanwhile, has a rookie-scale contract that runs two more years (including a $2.3 million team option for 2012-13), and the Thunder appear to be eyeing another worthy rookie-scale deal to essentially put in its place.
This also explains why the Thunder have been shopping Maynor for another pick.
If the Thunder take Jackson it would be a blow to the Miami Heat, who have been hoping he would fall to them at No. 31.
- Report: Kings discussing trade for Deron Williams with Nets 0
- Report: Multiple teams contacting Suns trying to trade for Goran Dragic 1
- Clippers rip officials after being called for seven technical fouls in loss to Nuggets 16
- Jeremy Lin after Kobe misses at the buzzer: ‘I like game-winners too’ 42
- Damian Lillard drops career high 43, leads Blazers to 3OT win over Spurs (VIDEO) 7
- Kendrick Perkins: Rajon Rondo wanted out of Boston 7
- Report: Minnesota agrees to trade Corey Brewer to Houston 7
- Dallas moves into title contender status with addition of Rajon Rondo 45