Jun 23, 2011, 2:33 PM EDT
Reggie Jackson is a guy a lot of scouts want their team to take a risk on. The Boston College point guard very quick and that comes in handy in an era when you can’t touch guards on the perimeter. He’s a great athlete with a ridiculous seven-foot wingspan. He needs to develop a consistent shot, but teams think there is a real player in there.
Then he mysteriously shut down all his workouts. He had a minor knee operation before the combine but in recent weeks he wouldn’t even do interviews with teams.
Some team clearly made him a promise. But who?
How about the Oklahoma City Thunder? That is what Sam Amick is reporting at Sports Illustrated.
Numerous executives are speculating that the Thunder (No. 24 pick) have given a promise to Boston College’s Reggie Jackson, whose camp has refused all workouts and made it known that the point guard already has an NBA home somewhere. The logic leading them there relates to Oklahoma City’s bigger picture. It’s believed that the Thunder are preparing for life without backup point guard Eric Maynor because of the finances in play.
Franchise centerpiece Kevin Durant received his maximum contract extension last summer, and running mate Russell Westbrook is expected to land the next big payday. Maynor, meanwhile, has a rookie-scale contract that runs two more years (including a $2.3 million team option for 2012-13), and the Thunder appear to be eyeing another worthy rookie-scale deal to essentially put in its place.
This also explains why the Thunder have been shopping Maynor for another pick.
If the Thunder take Jackson it would be a blow to the Miami Heat, who have been hoping he would fall to them at No. 31.
- Jahlil Okafor: “Rookie of the Year is one of the goals I set for myself” 13
- Report: Derrick Rose undecided about attending Team USA minicamp 8
- Report: Pacers planning to purchase D-League’s Fort Wayne Mad Ants 3
- Report: Hawks’ Mike Scott told police after arrest all drugs in car were his 17
- NBA lands in Africa trying to put down roots, which is all about youth programs, infrastructure 1
- Report: Kings expected to hire Nancy Lieberman as assistant coach 9
- Report: Hawks’ Mike Scott arrested for felony drug possession 16
- Gilbert Arenas on LeBron James: “James isn’t a #1 option..and yes I (didn’t stutter)” 50