Jun 23, 2011, 5:55 PM EDT
UPDATE 5:55 pm: Thanks to Adrian Wojnarowski of Yahoo, we have a few more details on the situation.
Biyombo terminated his contract with Fuenlabrada of the Spanish ACB in April, but source says team has sued and court date has been set.
This has not scared everybody off, as reportedly the Charlotte Bobcats traded up to make sure they got him at No. 7.
3:01 pm: Well, this is a bummer. The worst draft news of the day (so far) has just been broken by ESPN’s Andy Katz:
Congo forward Bismack Biyombo was a late invitee Thursday to the NBA draft’s green room, an indication he could land in the lottery, but according to league sources, Biyombo doesn’t have a letter of clearance from FIBA, the international basketball governing body, and is subject to a buyout.
Biyombo can’t sign an NBA contract until the matter is cleared up.
Sources said Biyombo’s name was on a list sent out by the NBA Wednesday detailing players who were subject to a buyout. Teams have investigated and concluded that Biyombo would owe roughly $1.5 million, possibly equal to his NBA rookie contract, to get out of his deal with Spanish team Fuenlabrada.
Sources said the buyout figure could be negotiated, but the matter also could end up in court.
This is rough news for people who were hoping to see Biyombo’s electrifying brand of defense and passion for rebounding in the NBA next season. Biyombo is one of the draft’s true mystery men because of his immense athleticism and raw offensive skill-set. If a buyout doesn’t get worked out soon, Biyombo may be a mystery to NBA fans for at least another season.
If Biyombo’s buyout prevents him from coming to the NBA next season, he would be the second big man in a week to have buyout issues cause his draft stock to drop. Lithuanian big man Jonas Valanciunas was projected as a top-5 pick, but he will now likely go later in the lottery after the news broke that a buyout issue will keep him from playing in the NBA next season.
- George Hill says only God is scarier to face than LeBron James 4
- LeBron James commits two costly turnovers in final minute of Game 2 loss to Pacers 18
- Pacers find their offense, find balance, find Heat’s respect 17
- Pacers get big games from Roy Hibbert and Paul George, take Game 2 from Heat to even the series 26
- LeBron James-Paul George matchup reaches awesome levels in Game 2 11
- Report: Dwight Howard will consider multiple teams in free agency, is said to be most intrigued by the Rockets (124)
- Alonzo Mourning says Scottie Pippen says LeBron would “kick Jordan’s ass” (83)
- LeBron’s triple-double, game-winner in overtime lead Heat to Game 1 win over Pacers (70)
- Pacers advance to the Eastern Conference Finals with Game 6 win over Knicks (61)
- If Phil Jackson could have any player to start a team it would be… Bill Russell (61)
- Pacers even series with Heat
- Penguins bounce Senators | Highlights
- MST: Rosberg wins pole in Monaco | Highlights
- Tennis.com: Can anyone stop Serena at French?
- Tennis.com: Is French still Nadal's to lose?
- Tigers' Sanchez loses no-hitter in 9th vs. Twins
- PST: Report: Openly gay Rogers to play for Galaxy