Jun 23, 2011, 3:25 PM EDT
Every NBA finals there is one player used brilliantly by his team who has a big playoffs, happens to be a free agent, gets overpaid and is asked to play a bigger role with another team. It doesn’t always work as planned.
J.J. Barea is perfectly poised to be that guy.
The Mavericks want to keep him — and Rick Carlisle knows how to use him, he did a masterful job of putting in positions where he could succeed. Barea wants to stay in Dallas.
But there are other teams Barea would consider. Rivals to the Mavs. Barea is back in his native Puerto Rico — they threw him his own championship parade — and spoke with primerahora.com. (hat tip to Sportsfeeder1)
“Obviously I prefer to stay in Dallas. The treatment I get in that city is incredible. And besides, I’d rather not have to start again. I like where I am and want to stay in Dallas to look for another championship, but I’ll leave that to my agent (Dan Fegan) and Mark Cuban,” said Barea…
“But if I had to leave Dallas because he had an offer on the table astronomical that it could not refuse, or because Dallas does not compensate adequately, Barea said other teams to consider would be the Miami Heat, the Lakers, the New York Knicks.”
Cuban might force David Stern to rewrite the new CBA to keep Barea from Miami or Los Angeles. But Dallas still seems the best fit for him on the court. That said, not going to blame him for making any move if some team backs the Brinks truck up to his door. (Any contract with the Lakers apparently comes with its own reality show, just as a perk.)
- Former GM: Carmelo Anthony leaving in free agency would be ‘doing Knicks a favor’ 8
- Report: Cavaliers privately believe it’s not too late to lure LeBron back to Cleveland 11
- Report: Phil Jackson ‘leaning toward’ accepting offer to become Knicks president 39
- Paul Pierce’s move to power forward adds twist to his career, Brooklyn Nets’ season 5
- O.J. Mayo suspended one game for punching Pelicans’ Greg Stiemsma in the throat (VIDEO) 6