Barea says he’d sign with Dallas… or the Lakers, or Heat

Jun 23, 2011, 3:25 PM EDT

Dallas Mavericks v Miami Heat - Game Six Getty Images

Every NBA finals there is one player used brilliantly by his team who has a big playoffs, happens to be a free agent, gets overpaid and is asked to play a bigger role with another team. It doesn’t always work as planned.

J.J. Barea is perfectly poised to be that guy.

The Mavericks want to keep him — and Rick Carlisle knows how to use him, he did a masterful job of putting in positions where he could succeed. Barea wants to stay in Dallas.

But there are other teams Barea would consider. Rivals to the Mavs. Barea is back in his native Puerto Rico — they threw him his own championship parade — and spoke with primerahora.com. (hat tip to Sportsfeeder1)

“Obviously I prefer to stay in Dallas. The treatment I get in that city is incredible. And besides, I’d rather not have to start again. I like where I am and want to stay in Dallas to look for another championship, but I’ll leave that to my agent (Dan Fegan) and Mark Cuban,” said Barea…

“But if I had to leave Dallas because he had an offer on the table astronomical that it could not refuse, or because Dallas does not compensate adequately, Barea said other teams to consider would be the Miami Heat, the Lakers, the New York Knicks.”

Cuban might force David Stern to rewrite the new CBA to keep Barea from Miami or Los Angeles. But Dallas still seems the best fit for him on the court. That said, not going to blame him for making any move if some team backs the Brinks truck up to his door. (Any contract with the Lakers apparently comes with its own reality show, just as a perk.)

1. wlubake - Jun 23, 2011 at 3:48 PM

Smart by Barea to target markets with large hispanic communities (MIA and LA). He’s been a superstar in Dallas reaching out to the hispanic population and has been great for developing a fan following for the Mavericks in that community. That reson alone would cause Cuban to overpay for him. He’s a huge marketing tool.

2. chargerdillon - Jun 23, 2011 at 3:49 PM

As a Lakers fan i’d love to have this guy as our starting PG with Fish on the bench. I love Fish but he’s way too old to be playing the minutes he is.

Let Barea be the full time guy and let Fish come in for clutch 3’s like he has been so good about hitting in playoffs and finals over his career

(I’m aware this wont happen and I also wouldn’t give up too much to get him, but Barea is a hell of a hand and fun to watch him slash around on the court)

• loungefly74 - Jun 23, 2011 at 4:13 PM

agree dillon, jj was a spectacle to see slashing all over the court. but yeah, i love d-fish but he needs to ride the pine here on out…

3. goforthanddie - Jun 23, 2011 at 4:48 PM

OK. He’ll leave Dallas for “an offer on the table astronomical that it could not refuse”, then list LA/Miami as options? Unless they follow different cap rules than other teams, LA/Miami can’t afford to pick up the check at McDonald’s. Or am I missing something besides major dealings?

• downtowndanny - Jun 24, 2011 at 2:45 AM

good point, and it makes no sense for him to go chase a ring in Miami for a fraction of what Cuban can and will give him. he’s just talking the talk, why leave now when you could possibly repeat?

4. tashkalucy - Jun 23, 2011 at 5:23 PM

I have been critical of Kurt.

Far and away this is the most on the money column he’s written in weeks.

• louderthanwords1 - Jun 23, 2011 at 8:59 PM

Weeks? I think your giving him way too much credit. I can’t think of anything since the playoffs started that he wrote that was worthwhile til now.

5. zackd2 - Jun 23, 2011 at 5:58 PM

Of course “Knicks” is left out of the headline.

Will LeBron get booed Christmas Day in Miami?
Top 10 NBA Player Searches