Jun 23, 2011, 2:43 PM EDT
UPDATE June 23, 2:43 pm: While this trade burned up twitter and message boards, it appears to be dead in the water.
The other thing to remember: All teams are hesitant to make big money trades until they see the new Collective Bargaining Agreement. You may see smaller draft-day deals, but don’t hold your breath on blockbusters.
June 22, 8:12 pm: At this point, it seems like the big pre-draft trade rumors are starting to combine with one another, but this latest batch of rumors from Sports Illustrated’s Sam Amick makes some sense:
While it’s unclear whether the deal has real potential or is still alive, it’s yet another sign that the Sixers are determined to land an impact player while improving their salary-cap situation in any trade for their second-leading scorer and top defender. Iguodala is owed a combined $44 million for the next three seasons (including $13.5 million next season), while Odom is set to make $8.9 million next season in the final guaranteed year of his contract…
…Iguodala is in play for Minnesota as well, according to a rival general manager who called the possibility of the Sixers acquiring the No. 2 pick in a package for their 27-year-old swingman “definitely real.” The Timberwolves have been seeking a high-level veteran in exchange for the second selection in Thursday’s draft and other pieces.
Iguodala would give the Lakers more youth on the wing, and would effectively replace the aging Ron Artest, who had a disappointing season last year. Iguodala may have less offensive upside than Derrick Williams does, and would cost a whole lot more, but he’s one of the best perimeter defenders in the league, which could make him worth the #2 pick for the defensively-challenged Timberwolves. He’s also a true small forward, unlike Williams, who is more of a power forward and would overlap with All-Star forward Kevin Love.
Of all the rumors I’ve heard surrounding Iguodala and the #2 pick, these are the ones that seem to make the most sense. We’ll see if the move actually happens soon enough.
- Shaq tells Suzy Shuster he, Kobe Bryant could have tied Jordan’s six titles 27
- Dwight Howard tried to take loaded gun through airport security, will not face charges 40
- Will Miami make a run at Kevin Durant? 17
- Report: Veteran forward Chuck Hayes agrees to deal with Clippers 6
- Report: Lakers to sign Brazilian, FC Barcelona point guard Marcelo Huertas to one-year deal 10
- Shaq to Kobe on podcast: “I just want people to know that I don’t hate you” 18
- D’Angelo Russell on Tracy McGrady tweet: “Some Lakers fans are spoiled” 28
- Anthony Davis “definitely” plans on shooting more threes this season 4