Jun 22, 2011, 9:06 PM EST
According to Yahoo! Sports’ Adrian Wojnarowski, the Minnesota Timberwolves have decided to fire head coach Kurt Rambis, but will not make the official announcement until after tomorrow’s draft:
Minnesota Timberwolves general manager David Kahn has decided to fire coach Kurt Rambis, league sources told Yahoo! Sports.
Kahn isn’t expected to announce the decision until after Thursday’s NBA draft, but he’s already begun collecting information on prospective replacements for Rambis, sources said…
Rambis has two years left on his original four-year contract. With the Timberwolves in the midst of a major rebuilding project, he went 32-132 as their coach, including a league-worst 17-65 this season.
Kahn told reporters he’d made the unusual request of asking Rambis to file a written report to him on changes Rambis would make if he returned as coach. He also said Rambis won’t attend the Timberwolves’ draft on Thursday night.
Kahn had wanted Rambis to become a better communicator with players. He also wanted him to design an offense away from the triangle and toward the open-court talents of rookie point guard Ricky Rubio. Rambis’ relationship with key young players, especially Kevin Love, had been frayed, at best.
As Wojnarowski mentions in the article, Rambis had two years left on his four-year contract. With Rambis as head coach, the Timberwolves went 32-132. As a player, Rambis was a hard-charging role player who attacked the glass with passion, and he won four championships as a player with the Lakers. After his playing career ended, Rambis served as the head coach of the Lakers in 1999, leading the team to a 24-13 regular-season record, and later served as a Laker assistant from 2002-2009.
It must be disappointing for Rambis that he’s getting his walking papers right as the Timberwolves appear ready to move out of their endless rebuilding stage and start trying to become a contending team again for the first time since the Garnett era, but it looks like Minnesota’s front office didn’t feel he was the right man for the job going forward.
- Wednesday night NBA Grades: LaMarcus Aldridge is a flat out stud 2
- Arena evacuated after fire, Spurs-Timberwolves game in Mexico City postponed 12
- Milwaukee police release video, cite Larry Sanders for bar fight 11
- PBT Extra: Focusing on “epic showdown” between Knicks, Nets 5
- Carmelo Anthony: “We are the laughingstock of the league right now” 25
- LeBron says Wade is “getting that Kobe deal” in next contract. Should he? (63)
- Report: Dion Waiters accused Kyrie Irving, Tristan Thompson of playing “buddy ball.” (53)
- Michael Beasley finding a role, groove in Miami (41)
- The Extra Pass: Our awards at the quarter pole, plus Monday recaps (41)
- With game in balance, Jason Kidd tells player to “hit me,” spills drink, gets psuedo timeout to draw up play (40)