Jun 22, 2011, 11:23 AM EDT
Kyrie Irving will go No. 1 overall to the Cavaliers. Minnesota may be shopping the No. 2 pick like Vince “ShamWow guy” Shlomi, but if they keep asking for Steve Nash and Andrew Bynum they will be making the pick themselves. And taking Derrick Williams.
Then things get interesting.
The Jazz will set the tone the rest of the way with their pick (or trade) at No. 3.
The conventional wisdom is that they will take Kentucky’s Brandon Knight, but ESPN’s Andy Katz heard different things.
Utah is deciding among four players at No. 3 with two of them likely not within its reach. If Irving and Williams are indeed gone by the time they come on the clock, the Jazz are leaning toward (Enes) Kanter over Brandon Knight of Kentucky, but that remains a fluid discussion for management.
Be careful about what teams are saying right now — everyone is blowing smoke to hide their intentions. My bet is the Jazz have their board set right now. But the Jazz do not want to tip their hand (in the same way the Cavaliers are saying they have not yet made a commitment to Irving).
Knight makes the most sense — with Deron Williams gone the Jazz need a point guard of the future. Knight can be that guy. Kanter kind of duplicates what they already get from Paul Millsap (at least in terms of position, not in terms of type of game). But the Jazz do go with the “best player available” theory, and if they have Kanter higher they would take him.
That pick impacts what happens next — a lot of the rumored trades up in the draft are because teams have interest in Kanter. A lot of movement in this draft is about teams who like Kanter and Jonas Valanciunas. The real fun of this draft starts at No. 3.
- Report: Chandler Parsons to have knee surgery, could require microfracture surgery 0
- Cavaliers’ J.R. Smith gets two-game suspension for shot to Jae Crowder’s head 11
- PBT Extra with NBASavant.com: Draymond Green helped hold Anthony Davis in relative check 2
- Cavaliers’ Kevin Love out for entire conference semifinals (likely vs. Bulls) 9
- PBT Extra with NBASavant.com: LeBron got his shots despite good Celtics defense 3
- PBT Extra: For how long should J.R. Smith be suspended? 31
- Report: If Kevin Love leaves Cavaliers, Lakers are team to beat in free agency 32
- Rumor: Kevin Love out minimum of two weeks, will likely miss most or all of series vs. Bulls 39