Jun 22, 2011, 5:41 PM EDT
Here’s the full report, from The Arizona Republic’s Paul Coro:
Babby again stated that the Suns will not be trading Nash, nor have they initiated talks with other teams about such a deal. Meanwhile, Nash was having a “global chat” of a press conference in advance of his charity soccer game in New York today when he received a question about whether he would want to play for Toronto.
“This is a tough question for me,” Nash said. “When you’re in a situation (where) you’ve given a lot of you career to one franchise, you feel at home there. I feel a loyalty to my team, our community in Phoenix. I want us to try to get back and try to compete for a championship like we did two seasons ago so that’s kind of all I think about. So I don’t plan on leaving but obviously if the opportunity were ever there, where Phoenix were rebuilding or whatever happens, Toronto would be an amazing place to play. It’s a great city. It’d be at home in Canada. To be a part of their, hopefully, future success would be great but I don’t really have any plans other than try to get our team back in theplayoffs and contend for a championship.”
It sounds from those comments like Nash would definitely like to stay in Phoenix, but would be open to a change of scenery if the Suns can’t become contenders again and the opportunity to play for a contending team presents itself. The 37-year old Nash continued to hold off Father Time last season, averaging 14.7 points on 49%/39.5%/91% shooting and a league-leading 11.4 assists, but the Suns finished with a 40-42 record and missed the playoffs.
- Ray Allen on making a decision about next season: “I’m not in any rush” 0
- Derrick Rose after first back-to-back in years: “I’m feeling good right now” 2
- Report: Rajon Rondo wants to start season with Celtics, see how things unfold 11
- Rajon Rondo’s agent denies they asked Celtics for a trade 14
- Team USA trails at the half, then pulls away for 98-77 win over Turkey at FIBA World Cup 19
- Report: Nike nearing deal to keep Kevin Durant for next 10 years 22
- Report: Rajon Rondo has told Celtics ‘he wants out’ 68
- World Cup Day 1 roundup: Brazil with big win, Andray Blatche puts on a show 5