Jun 22, 2011, 6:31 PM EDT
There might be something to the idea that the Lakers are shopping around Lamar Odom. Still, this one seems a little fantastic — and if true surprising.
The Lakers offered Sixth Man of the Year Lamar Odom for the No. 2 pick, but Minnesota turned it down, according to the Los Angeles Times.
The Lakers wanted to use the No. 2 pick to select Arizona’s forward Derrick Williams, the officials said.
However, Minnesota didn’t want Odom, the NBA’s sixth man of the year last season, because the Timberwolves have Kevin Love at power forward and see him as part of the franchise’s cornerstone.
Instead, Minnesota asked the Lakers for either Andrew Bynum or Pau Gasol — two players the Lakers were not going to trade — for the No. 2 draft pick. Talks broke down and the teams aren’t talking anymore about a deal, the officials said.
What this really signals is that the Lakers are planning to use Lamar Odom as trade bait this summer. The Lakers need a point guard, they need to get more athletic (Derrick Williams would have done that). They don’t have any trade bait outside of their core guys (sorry Lakers fans, Luke Walton is not in demand). The Lakers are not going to move Kobe Bryant, Pau Gasol or Andrew Bynum (well, the later two maybe if we are talking Dwight Howard/Chris Paul type of move, but that’s it).
Odom is the best piece of trade bait the Lakers have, and they are willing to move him.
- NBA lands in Africa trying to put down roots, which is all about youth programs, infrastructure 0
- Report: Kings expected to hire Nancy Lieberman as assistant coach 8
- Report: Hawks’ Mike Scott arrested for felony drug possession 16
- Gilbert Arenas on LeBron James: “James isn’t a #1 option..and yes I (didn’t stutter)” 46
- Report: Veteran point guard Andre Miller reaches one-year deal with Timberwolves 10
- Who is still out there: Top 10 free agents still on the market 14
- Donald Trump says he’s becoming a Mavericks fan after Mark Cuban’s comments 48
- Report: Michael Jordan shot down Boston draft-day effort to get Charlotte No. 9 pick 31