Jun 22, 2011, 1:38 PM EDT
On one side of the scale, you have Kevin Garnett, Ray Allen, Paul Pierce, Rajon Rondo and Doc Rivers all coming back, and you think they are not going to break this group up yet, they are going to make one more run.
On the other side of the scale, you have the Kendrick Perkins trade.
That is enough to make you think there could be some nuggets of truth in what Chris Mannix of Sports Illustrated told WEEI Radio in Boston.
“I think he’s talking about moving everybody. I really do,” Mannix said of Danny Ainge. “I’ve had conversations with different people around the league; I would throw Rajon Rondo on that list as well. … He has explored dealing Rajon Rondo in the past. He has talked to other GMs about him in the past. I’m not saying he’s been willing to pull the trigger in the past, but Rajon Rondo has been on the table in the past year or so.
“This is just something that Danny does. He’s not afraid to make the blockbuster deal if he thinks it helps him in the long term. So, I think Danny is absolutely working the phones right now. I think every one of those guys is on the table for a potential deal that he’s sure is going to help him.”
Danny Ainge has said he regrets how the Larry Bird era of the Celtics came to an end, with the team hanging on to the glory a little to long and setting the franchise’s rebuilding back. (The untimely death of Len Bias played a role there as well.) Ainge has the stones to make a big move. I don’t think he’d move Pierce under virtually any circumstances, but Ray Allen?
My guess is that unless blown away he’ll see what the core can do for one more year, with some tweaks of the roster around them, and he will make Rondo the centerpiece going forward.
But if you’re going to do a move like that, you had better bring back someone pretty monster in return. Because if you thought there was backlash to the Perkins trade….
- Hey John Wall/Dion Waiters, Stephen Curry says Warriors have best backcourt. And he’s right. 43
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: Charlotte Hornets 6
- Kobe Bryant plans to play in all 8 preseason games for Lakers 11
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: Miami Heat 9
- Mike Miller points to him being amnestied as start of LeBron James leaving Miami 15
- Kobe Bryant thinks he could physically play beyond contract extension 14
- Trey Burke, in wake of nude-photo scandal: ‘My judgments will be much better’ 11
- Report: Kevin Durant says he wants to play in 2016 Olympics (his free agent summer) 5