Jun 22, 2011, 1:58 PM EDT
Even in court, Mark Cuban is bragging about his championship. And being damn funny.
Remember that Cuban is being sued by Ross Perot Jr., the son of the former presidential candidate and a five percent owner of the Mavericks. His partnership (Hillwood Center Partnership) used to own the majority of the Mavericks but sold to Cuban 11 years ago. Perot says that the Mavericks are insolvent, mismanaged and Cuban is basically a giant turd. That’s not the exact legal phrasing, but that’s the thrust of it.
Today, Cuban’s lawyers filed papers asking the judge to just say Cuban won the case (Summery Judgment is the legal term). What is the legal basis to ask for this judgement? Here it is, from the Dallas Observer blog (Via The Basketball Jones):
Under Hillwood’s ownership, the team was deemed the “worst franchise” in all of professional sports. Under Cuban’s stewardship the Mavericks have become one of the league’s most successful teams and are now NBA champions. Accordingly, there can be no genuine question that Hillwood’s claims of mismanagement lack merit and Hillwood’s claims should be disposed of on summary judgment.
The brief includes a picture of Dirk Nowitzki holding up the Larry O’Brien Trophy over his head with the team around him.
- Gilbert Arenas on LeBron James: “James isn’t a #1 option..and yes I (didn’t stutter)” 20
- Report: Veteran point guard Andre Miller reaches one-year deal with Timberwolves 8
- Who is still out there: Top 10 free agents still on the market 12
- Donald Trump says he’s becoming a Mavericks fan after Mark Cuban’s comments 47
- Report: Michael Jordan shot down Boston draft-day effort to get Charlotte No. 9 pick 31
- Wisconsin State Assembly passes Bucks arena deal, clearing the way for Gov. Walker to sign 40
- Phil Jackson says Knicks wanted Goran Dragic at trade deadline. Because he’s such a triangle fit? 16
- Report: Cavaliers sign Matthew Dellavedova 10