Jun 22, 2011, 9:03 AM EDT
Kevin Durant is not the kind of athlete who ends up on TMZ as he is hopping from club-to-club or trying to line up his next reality show. That’s just not who Durant is. He’s more the “wear a backpack to a press conference” kind of guy.
Yet he still got in trouble via TMZ for “dissing” Oklahoma City. In a very TMZ manufactured controversy.
It’s no surprise that the footage is captured by TMZ. When asked what there is to do in Oklahoma for fun Durant responded, “nothing” and kept walking. TMZ then made sort of a big deal about it on its television show….
Durant made an attempt to explain his actions in messages on both his Twitter account as well as his Facebook page. His reason for saying “nothing?” He didn’t want to talk to TMZ. Durant had the right idea in mind. He should have said nothing. But he’s too nice of a guy to blow off people and say nothing. So he said something. And that something, which was the answer, “nothing,” created a small controversy, which is exactly what TMZ covets.
But, really, there is no controversy.
Durant has done nothing but praise Oklahoma City and say how much he loves the city since the franchise moves there, and the residents there are getting pissed over this? Really? That says more about how those Oklahoma City residents feel about their city than it does Durant. As Darnell Mayberry says in the blog post, those people need to get over their inferiority complex. OKC is not Miami or New York when it comes to things to do, especially if you are young and single like Durant. Thing is, Durant is a different kind of guy and he likes it that way. He’s not seeking out the bright lights.
Get off his back. This isn’t even a real controversy.
- Who is still out there: Top 10 free agents still on the market 1
- Donald Trump says he’s becoming a Mavericks fan after Mark Cuban’s comments 12
- Report: Michael Jordan shot down Boston draft-day effort to get Charlotte No. 9 pick 29
- Wisconsin State Assembly passes Bucks arena deal, clearing the way for Gov. Walker to sign 34
- Phil Jackson says Knicks wanted Goran Dragic at trade deadline. Because he’s such a triangle fit? 16
- Report: Cavaliers sign Matthew Dellavedova 10
- Heat trade Zoran Dragic, second-rounder to Celtics 11
- Report: Cavaliers trade Brendan Haywood, Mike Miller, two second-round picks to Portland 17