Jun 22, 2011, 4:01 PM EDT
With top prospects in New York Thursday for media and service responsibilities, a person familiar with the draft discussions said the Pistons appear to have zeroed in on Texas small forward Tristan Thompson with the eighth pick. Thompson canceled other scheduled workouts after working out for the Pistons with five other players Wednesday.
The 6-9 Thompson is a banger of a power forward, but he lacks anything resembling polish at this stage of his career. He made less than half of his free throws, his Points per possession on jump shots was the lowest in this year’s crop of big men, and his posts per possessions on post-ups was the second-lowest mark. (Data courtesy of Draftexpress.com.)
Despite how raw Thompson is, the Pistons have always loved tough, physical players, and Ben Wallace won’t be around for much longer, so this could end up being a good fit for both Thompson and the Pistons.
- Shaq to Kobe on podcast: “I just want people to know that I don’t hate you” 10
- D’Angelo Russell on Tracy McGrady tweet: “Some Lakers fans are spoiled” 19
- Anthony Davis “definitely” plans on shooting more threes this season 4
- Jim Buss defends Byron Scott as Lakers coach, “He has the Laker blood in him” 24
- Jim Buss open to the idea of Kobe Bryant playing beyond this season 32
- Derrick Rose on sexual assault suit: “I am confident I will be proven innocent” 4
- Report: Kyrie Irving likely not back opening night, could be out until January 14
- Legendary Sixer, backboard-shattering dunker Darryl Dawkins dies at 58 14