Jun 22, 2011, 4:01 PM EST
With top prospects in New York Thursday for media and service responsibilities, a person familiar with the draft discussions said the Pistons appear to have zeroed in on Texas small forward Tristan Thompson with the eighth pick. Thompson canceled other scheduled workouts after working out for the Pistons with five other players Wednesday.
The 6-9 Thompson is a banger of a power forward, but he lacks anything resembling polish at this stage of his career. He made less than half of his free throws, his Points per possession on jump shots was the lowest in this year’s crop of big men, and his posts per possessions on post-ups was the second-lowest mark. (Data courtesy of Draftexpress.com.)
Despite how raw Thompson is, the Pistons have always loved tough, physical players, and Ben Wallace won’t be around for much longer, so this could end up being a good fit for both Thompson and the Pistons.
- Kobe Bryant says Gary Payton, Kevin Garnett among best trash talkers he’s faced 0
- PBT’s Wednesday NBA Winners/Losers: Ettore Messina making history for Spurs 1
- LeBron James, Cavaliers have kind of game they need to replicate blowing out Wizards 5
- Gregg Popovich to miss game following ‘minor medical procedure’ 7
- PBT Extra: Anthony Davis’s MVP-level play, the Spurs and things to be thankful for 7
- Report: Knicks worried Carmelo Anthony’s back issue may be season-long concern 9
- Report: Lakers working on a one-year deal with Earl Clark 13
- Tom Thibodeau says Derrick Rose ‘didn’t re-injure himself’ after playing just 10 minutes in loss to Nuggets 20