Jun 22, 2011, 4:01 PM EST
With top prospects in New York Thursday for media and service responsibilities, a person familiar with the draft discussions said the Pistons appear to have zeroed in on Texas small forward Tristan Thompson with the eighth pick. Thompson canceled other scheduled workouts after working out for the Pistons with five other players Wednesday.
The 6-9 Thompson is a banger of a power forward, but he lacks anything resembling polish at this stage of his career. He made less than half of his free throws, his Points per possession on jump shots was the lowest in this year’s crop of big men, and his posts per possessions on post-ups was the second-lowest mark. (Data courtesy of Draftexpress.com.)
Despite how raw Thompson is, the Pistons have always loved tough, physical players, and Ben Wallace won’t be around for much longer, so this could end up being a good fit for both Thompson and the Pistons.
- Report: George Karl controls Kings’ personnel, wants Ty Lawson, willing to move DeMarcus Cousins 26
- Paul George returns to practice with Pacers, could play in couple weeks 7
- Report: LeBron James wonders why he doesn’t get more MVP consideration 39
- Would Rajon Rondo leave the Mavericks for the Lakers? 57
- Five Things We Learned in NBA Wednesday: The Spurs losing rodeo road trip a bad sign 11
- PBT Extra: What is future for Derrick Rose? Bulls? 13
- Mavericks suspend Rajon Rondo one game after argument with coach Rick Carlisle 43
- Derrick Rose is hurt again. Where do the Bulls go from here? 28