Jun 21, 2011, 9:47 PM EDT
Here’s an absolute shocker of a report from Yahoo! Sports’ Adrian Wojnarowski:
The Spurs have talked to teams in the lottery, including the Toronto Raptorsand Sacramento Kings, who hold the fifth and seventh picks, respectively. The Kings are determined to get a frontline point guard, and have also talked with the Denver Nuggets about Raymond Felton.
It’s unclear who the Spurs would prefer to take if they acquired a high lottery pick.
This is shocking, to say the least. The 29-year old Parker averaged 17.5 points and 6.6 assists last season, and shot 52% from the field while doing so. If Kyrie Irving, the projected #1 overall pick in the draft, can produce like Tony Parker has, I’m sure a lot of teams would be happy with that. And even though the Spurs did lose in the first round, they did win 61 games last season, and Parker led the team in minutes played.
Still, Parker is nearing 30, he does heavily rely on his speed, and the Spurs appear to be looking to get younger. And as Wojnarowski mentioned in his article, Parker didn’t play well against Memphis, and said that he didn’t think the Spurs would be title contenders for much longer after the playoffs were over. Still, this would be a very, very, very aggressive and high-risk move from the Spurs, especially with this year’s draft class considered to be one of the weakest in recent memory.
The Spurs built a modern dynasty by making unconventional moves (and drafting Tim Duncan #1 overall), but this would be one of the boldest trades in the history of the franchise if it did go down. For a draft nobody seems to be all that excited about, there sure has been a lot of excitement surrounding it.
- PBT Extra: Give Warriors defense some credit for stop of Harden on last play 0
- Lakers general manager says Kobe Bryant told him next season will be Kobe’s last with Lakers 10
- For two games James Harden has been brilliant, but that’s not what anybody is talking about 23
- Warriors survive James Harden in Game 2, take 2-0 lead in Western Conference finals 16
- PBT Extra: No DeMarre Carroll leaves Hawks in tough spot 3
- PBT Extra: J.R. makes case for hot hand theory, is loved in Cleveland 7
- PBT Extra: Draft Lottery winners start with Lakers 24
- Stephen Curry, LeBron James unanimous choices, lead All-NBA First Team 24