Jun 21, 2011, 9:47 PM EDT
Here’s an absolute shocker of a report from Yahoo! Sports’ Adrian Wojnarowski:
The Spurs have talked to teams in the lottery, including the Toronto Raptorsand Sacramento Kings, who hold the fifth and seventh picks, respectively. The Kings are determined to get a frontline point guard, and have also talked with the Denver Nuggets about Raymond Felton.
It’s unclear who the Spurs would prefer to take if they acquired a high lottery pick.
This is shocking, to say the least. The 29-year old Parker averaged 17.5 points and 6.6 assists last season, and shot 52% from the field while doing so. If Kyrie Irving, the projected #1 overall pick in the draft, can produce like Tony Parker has, I’m sure a lot of teams would be happy with that. And even though the Spurs did lose in the first round, they did win 61 games last season, and Parker led the team in minutes played.
Still, Parker is nearing 30, he does heavily rely on his speed, and the Spurs appear to be looking to get younger. And as Wojnarowski mentioned in his article, Parker didn’t play well against Memphis, and said that he didn’t think the Spurs would be title contenders for much longer after the playoffs were over. Still, this would be a very, very, very aggressive and high-risk move from the Spurs, especially with this year’s draft class considered to be one of the weakest in recent memory.
The Spurs built a modern dynasty by making unconventional moves (and drafting Tim Duncan #1 overall), but this would be one of the boldest trades in the history of the franchise if it did go down. For a draft nobody seems to be all that excited about, there sure has been a lot of excitement surrounding it.
- Steve Nash to miss entire 2014-15 season with ongoing back injuries 27
- Jeanie Buss: ‘Any free agent that would be afraid to play with Kobe Bryant is probably a loser’ 52
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: Memphis Grizzlies 7
- Five top candidates for NBA Rookie of the Year 30
- NBA GMs surveyed predict LeBron will win MVP, Spurs will repeat as champions 31
- Owners vote down NBA Draft lottery reform, system to stay same for this season 47
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 preview: Houston Rockets 26
- Kobe Bryant responds to ESPN article with basically a shrug (VIDEO) 22